Skip to content
Help
tlively1 posted:
Hello, i;m new to this site.... I just recently started to diet.... with walking. Just wanted to know what all is working great with everyone else?? I need to lose 100 lbs!

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi t, welcome aboard.
Walking helps everyone. Seriously. It is the single best exercise to begin with. If you are physically able to, just keep with it, because it is so easily advanced as you grow stronger. Without actually taking up running, you can build up the time you do it and you can quicken your pace. Both of these , in time, will work your heart even more and burn more calories.

Anything you do, any thing over and above just sitting around and "living" will burn calories. Start a food and fitness planner and you can post washing dishes, or laundry or hand washing your dog as part of your exercise output. No kidding. It all adds up.

Sign in on this community site and click on Resources at top left. You will find some great recipes and other exercises that we recommend..

glad you joined us!

kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs loss per month, goal 135

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

tlively1 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you!!!I've went walking 20 mins a day since Monday and pushing stroller with two kids about 80 lbs there.... up and down hills. And this does cause me to break into sweats and breath hard. I did mange to get my mother in law to start walking with me..... trying to keep my head up. Its easy to get discourage real fast. I do have a garden as well that I work in just about everyday. My doctor told me that didn't count!! I have change eating habit and just drink water as well. How many exercises do you recommend? Ex: sit up 10 a day for week for increase about 5 each day? I've done better today day than yesterday so far... hope to see so results before to much longer.

kalimiller replied to tlively1's response:
Any form of physical activity counts. Some may count more than others - like running is probably burning more calories than folding laundry while standing. But it's easy to start with smaller exercises and build up. That's great that you're walking 20 minutes a day with your kids.

Try going to runningmap.com - it's a free site and you can track how far you are walking each day. It's pretty easy to use - you just type in your zip code to get in the area, and move around to find your starting point (kind of like google maps). If you mess up, you can remove the last point or just remove all of them. It's nice because you can get pretty exact.

You could track how far you've gone and try to do that same distance in less time - or challenge yourself to go farther. Anyways, I think it's interesting to see how far you've gone.

I work in my garden a few times a week and build up a sweat from standing and squating and reaching...you can't say that's not exercise!
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 191

totallywiggedout replied to tlively1's response:
Some doctors.....grrrr. Unless you live on a planet that has 0 gravity, then you get a workout doing your gardening. In fact throw this one in his/her face when you next see them...
You can burn 100 calories just by swinging on a swingset for an hour. So HTH could you NOT burn calories gardening?!!
PLUS the heavier you are, the more calories you burn doing everyday things. That is also a fact.

Blah, I hate doctors that prove that 8 years of college does nothing for a person's actual knowledge of the human metabolism.

huggs
kim

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi, T, welcome aboard!

Kim, your swinging thought gave me an idea - wish there was a playground to go to for overweight adults, you know, appropriate-sized swings, slides, etc. Wouldn't that be a hoot! Maybe it's just my inner child talking, but I miss swings, seesaws (although that takes 2 people), slides, etc. Ahh, well, it was a pleasant thought...
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

totallywiggedout replied to ladylavender's response:
Abby, make it happen, girl! Most elementary schools now have those rubber "strap" like swings anyhow, They widen for any sized butt most playgrounds and parks are open daylight to dusk. So after school is out, and maybe if you are the type to get easily embarrassed, sometime between 530 and 7ish, when most kids are eating dinner, try the swings. Then, go try the monkey bars... or if your area has one of those wooden "Kids Kingdom" community parks, they usually have HUGE tire swings.

All public swings have to have a weight capacity and tensil strength past 600 lbs. So if you don't get carried away, you should be ok. I promise.

Also, did you ever hoola hoop? That burns MEGA calories.
And so does jumping rope.
There is no crime in playing like a child. The crime is when we give up our childhood voluntarily.
For pitys sake, go outside and PLAY!

huggs
k

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
(((Kim))) Thanks, sweetie. I'll have to give it some thought.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

mog1026 replied to ladylavender's response:
It's so strange you should talk about playgrounds. All week I have been thinking about what it was like to swing really high as a kid. How you would pump your legs to go higher, and how we would hear tales about the mystery kid who swung in a big arc over the top and down again. I loved going really high and jumping off. Such a simple pleasure but one I would love to try again. I can't think when I last saw a big set. Our elementary schools have wonderful climbing structures but not swings I think. Remember the merry go round thing that kids would pile on and then the bigger kids would push from the outside to get it to spin faster? I'm lost in the 1950's right now!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 209 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

mardee responded:
WELCOME!!!

And stay motivated!!!
Write down every reason you would like to take off the pounds. Health? Self Esteem? Appearance? Be a good Role Model? All of these are great reasons. But you still need to get to the core. Mine is health. And not just for wanting to be healthy. I would like to live past my 50's and still be able to walk. I would like to not have to take 5 different pills every day just to help my body live. It also go as deep as when I am over weight, I don't like myself and that will cause mental issues as well.
Good Luck!!
Mardee
CW 191 - SW 200 - GW 125

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.
- Japanese Proverb

blondie454u responded:
You've already gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

hello , lost 4 last 2 week .NOW gain 4 again . Start at 296,June,2013.Now 270. Will, start walking to and from work. Back to eating 1567 aday. REMEMBE...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.