Skip to content
Beet greens
parakeet210 posted:
Has anyone ever eaten beet greens?? They look so good in pictures!! I love beets as we had them in our garden as a kid. However, I've never had beet greens.

Loved the rainbow this am. Didn't you??

I don't want to eat them cooked. Anyone have an idea of what they taste like and if they are good in salads??
I've had a lot of rain and clouds. When this happens be a blessing for someone else.

tweety 'keet' possibly on some days sb

SW 262.2. GW. 170 CW 252.0

totallywiggedout responded:
Keet I've eaten them but always cooked. If you want em in salad form, here's a couple recipes...apparently they are a pretty dense leaf so you willmwant to chop em up small or into thin strips or you could find yourself chewing every mouthful 1000xs b4 swallowing.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/rawfoodsrecipes/r/beet-green-salad.htm

http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2012/3/20/beet-green-chopped-salad.htm

huggs
k
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs loss per month, goal 135

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

parakeet210 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
The first one really sounds great!! I might make that this weekend!! I will look for the namyouy sounds oriental.

I gotta get better in the groove of research on the net about these things. Thank you so ever much!!
I've had a lot of rain and clouds. When this happens be a blessing for someone else.

totallywiggedout replied to parakeet210's response:
Keet, join pinterest and start following me. I add recipes daily and I have one specifically for salads, but the Paleo one and the Fitness Freaks ones also have 'raw" selections in them.

huggs
k

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

bigred53 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Keet in my family we always cooked the greens along with the beets and I still do to this day. I started cooking them with some apple cider vinegar in the water. Super good!

Some of those 'baby' salad mixes have baby beet greens in them. I love those mixes.

Michelle

jis4judy responded:
Hi Tweety I love beet greens but they have to be cooked like spinach they are best right from the garden ...I never buy them in the store . the only place I had these is at my sisters house in Canada she had them growing in the garden . I tried growing them but it never amounted to much did not have the right soil or fertilizer ...
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

parakeet210 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I'm on Pinterest Kim. I'll email u who I am on there. Thanks!!

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy. Judy!! Awh thanks for replying. My parents grew beets but they tossed the beet greens into the garden compost. I bet whole foods would have some good ones

jis4judy replied to parakeet210's response:
Oh keet they are best when thinning the row so the beets have room the ones you remove are great to cook they are also more tender with tiny beets on them
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Maybe next year I'll grow some. Hmm I'm chomping at the bit now for some. Num num

totallywiggedout replied to parakeet210's response:
Keet, if all you really want is the greens from the beets, now might be the best time to actaully plant a bunch of them. They'll be a little later, but the "new" greens from immature beets are the most tender(those are the ones in the salad mixes) . At that point, you'll also be able to enjoy the "baby beets" which are attached. You don't have to have the full growing season unless you want the big ones. Plant a row and see what happens.

huggs
k

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

parakeet210 responded:
I don't have anymore room in my gardens. I don't think they have to cross germinate so maybe. Naw I don't have room. I thought Might have some in herb gardens but nope I'm going to grow some next yr

Thanks lassies

ausgram replied to parakeet210's response:
Hey Keet, I always grow beets and mainly only use the greens. Carl doesn't like the beet but loves the greens. I usually put quite a few up in my freezer when the garden gets over loaded with them. This year the rain has done a job on them. They have been drowned, dug up by the rabbits and over grown with weeds. I keep trying to protect them so we shall see how many I get this year. they are only up about 2 inches what few are left. I doubt they will be ready by the time you and I actually get together but if they are, I shall bring you some.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -185; GW -150

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

parakeet210 replied to ausgram's response:
that would be awesome Aus!! Hey have you ever dug dandelion greens from sandy soil?? here in CO or out wherel you live??

It would be great to do that and make dandelion salad. Me and my mom used to dig them and eat the heck outta them!!

I've missed them since I was a kid. Everything grew up where we used to get our asparagus in the field behind us up north kinda by thornton is where we used to did the dandelions.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Miss this a bunch!

Gosh I Feel so happy inside that u all like to eat the things I wanna eat LOL. FOOD for thought LOL

parakeet210 replied to parakeet210's response:
ooo btw i'm 251.2 today

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Morbidly obese as they call it. I have to lose 100 lbs. I have COPD, Emphesemea, Precancerous Barrett's Esophagus, Chronic Migraines,Daytime ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.