Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How would you take care of a 7 year old??
parakeet210 posted:
Would you say, I'm fat to your child? After a time of it yesterday I decided to put my rehab work toward weight loss too!!

So, would you feed this 7 yr. garbage in garbage out.... Would she drink water and milk?or

Would you reward child with food?

How would you take care of your 7 year old child????

I'm sure our silly readers will find this enjoyable and a good lesson or????
I've had a lot of rain and clouds. When this happens be a blessing for someone else.

tweety 'keet' possibly on some days sb

SW 262.2. GW. 170 CW 252.0

rohvannyn responded:
That's a good thing to think about. The concept of treating yourself as a loved one, or as your own best friend, is a good one. Furthermore, would insult this child? Would you block this child from getting affection, or tell them they were too fat to love? Would you say this child can't have hugs or kisses because they are fat? No you wouldn't. You would help the child find better food, encourage them to move and play more, and be gentle with this child.

Why do we deserve so much less?
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' - Y

Post reboot starting weight: 201.8 Current weight: 197.8 Goal: 140

parakeet210 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Exactly Roh!
I've had a lot of rain and clouds. When this happens be a blessing for someone else.

totallywiggedout responded:
Unfortunately, by 7, the child has gotten most of their "food attitudes" ingrained into their psyche.
This is what I'm noticing now, thinking about Gage's first steps into solids. At 2 mos, he's already getting some 1st stage rice cereal and about 2-3 oz of unsweetened apple or white grape juice a day.
He's a gassy child. Not cholicky, but gassy so we have to make sure to determine whether he's actually hungry when he won't stop crying, or if he's gassy.
I'm watching his intake more now than I was. I rub his tummy and give lots of quiet time, instead of food. If that doesn't cure it, then I go for some frozen mommy milk , but not until I know for sure. He's an eater, so if I shove a bottle in his mouth, he'll take it. Therein lies the rub.
I don't want him learning that if he's upset, that he should have food all the time. But how much time to fuss, is too much time?

Now, onto my own 7 y.o. self. The damage is probably already done by now. It sure was when I was really 7 , by that time I was almost 10 lbs overweight. And I was already self conscious about it and hated any "helpful hints" to help me slim down and/or cut back on foods.

I guess, I just wouldn't have the snacky foods in the house. I wouldn't hand out spare change for my 7 yo to go to the corner store with. I wouldn't allow soda pop with meals and would probably try to make it a "treat" for once a week or so.
Desserts wouldn't be a nightly part of dinner, bread would not be stacked and set out on a plate with the meal.
I would limit things like mashed or fried potatoes to once or twice a week, instead of nightly, and I'd try to make up plates of the sort of raw veggies that my 7 likes to eat. Instead of the ones the grownups say she has to or should eat.
Lastly, I guess I would not serve my 7 yo on an adult plate. A sandwich plate or a toddler plate is big enough for a 7 yo meal. Too big of a plate and you just try to fill up the space with too much food. If serving right onto a plate, it's hard to determine the portion size for a 7 yo if the plate is too big.. then demanding they clean their plate is telling them to eat till they are stuffed and beyond, "or else".

My 7 year old. I wish I could save her the trouble of growing up to be a "big" woman.

huggs
k
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs loss per month, goal 135

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

ladylavender responded:
A lot of the ingrained negatives rolling around our brains were "fed" to us when little. It takes a lot of energy to overrun the lies with the truth, or at least more useful "self-talk." Just sayin'. It's worth it, though, so keep on keeping on.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Great discussion Tweety! I think I would do what I did with my children who are thin, fit and strong as adults. I didn't make food an issue. I served a variety of veggies and main courses and I was relaxed about it. If they didn't like something or weren't very hungry it was fine with me. I never, however, cooked separately for them. I made dinner and that was it. No veggies were off limits, potatoes or otherwise, but I never fried any food. Serving dishes were not on the table and we didn't do second helpings. Dessert was not expected, but sweets were allowed in the house. Milk or water with meals, never soda. We didn't have much soda in the house ever. My kids never developed a craving for sweets. If anything they are slaves to cheese, but I have never seen them overeating. My pediatrician was a big believer that kids won't starve when left to their own devices,

I think eating becomes about something other than nourishment when parents allow it to. Meals in my house as a kid were miserable because I was a skinny shrimp who didn't like a lot of food and I was made to sit at the table until I ate a certain amount. I could hold out a very very very very long time. And when I was finally released, a dessert was something I really enjoyed. Food and emotion got linked. It was a power struggle. I stayed thin until my middle age, but sweets became my bugaboo.

I would be careful about making any food a treat. It somehow gives it a magical quality in a kid's mind. If you don't want them eating it everyday just don't keep it in the house and don't make a big deal about it. I don't think you need special plates again because it sends the message that food is to be restricted to them. And I would never worry about milk/formula for an infant. I don't think they're making the connection that food can salve emotional conflict. That's for us bigger kids. If that child is crying from hunger, and you should be able to keep track from a feeding schedule, that little bunny needs to be fed.

So that's my opinion for what it's worth, and it's just based on my own experience. I'm sure it's no better than anyone else's, but the RELAX method just worked for me as a mother.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 209 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
I ditto Kathys response I was a relaxed Mom and when we had a new vegie I would not offer it to my kids they would see me enjoying it and they asked to try the grown up food
My kids were thin and healthy they were not required to clean their plates I was thin till my late 30s then I gained 50 pounds removed it before I reached 40 then in my late 40s my mom died and I was a wreck gained 100 pounds over about 7 years menopause hit me like a ton of bricks I spent 5 years trying to diet it off it didn't work so I started using nutrition to guide me and reducing the unhealthy foods it worked like a charm

Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

ausgram responded:
Wow what a subject. I don't remember too many kids being fat years ago. But now days, they sit in front of tv or their iPod's or gamers or whatever, not many go outside and play.

Unlike Kathy, I made my kids eat what they took. But they were never overweight, food wasn't an issue back 40 years ago. It's just been since these fast foods hit the market. I know when my grandkids were little, my daughter was forever taking them to McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc. Or even ordering pizza at home. They are all struggling with their weight today. Even my son's family. they did the same thing.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -185; GW -150

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

kalimiller replied to totallywiggedout's response:
""then demanding they clean their plate is telling them to eat till they are stuffed and beyond, "or else". ""

I agree with this SOOO much. I grew up with the "clean your plate" rule in our house - and it's just one of those habits that you don't even notice now. My husband is not like that at all. He'll take a huge heaping of seconds, eat a few bites, and be done. Or forget the seconds, just take a HUGE amount of firsts. I have to remind him a lot that there is such a thing as seconds.

It's good for me though that he does that, because I just have to remind myself that I don't have to eat it all - I can stop when I'm full. I'm still working on it though, it's a tough one to break!
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 191

parakeet210 replied to kalimiller's response:
love all the variety of comments. For me I'm trying to talk to my 7 year old and give her the best of ME..... Rather hard actually

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let me start by saying ... Last time I was a Size 4 was Toddlers. I have always been well padded. I think my whole adult life I was pretty much bounci...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.