Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to the discussion
rayve posted:
Well, I've known that I have been overweight for a couple of years now, but today was the first time in a long time that I went shopping for some decent summer clothing...now I remember why I haven't been clothes shopping for a while. I bought a few things...made sure they were 2X large so I would fit into them, but imagine my heart when I tried them on and they were too small....I need to get some help...or at least be able to chat to people that understand how I feel...I've found this place...hopefully this will help, and I hope that I can be of some help to others.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mog1026 responded:
Welcome Rayve! This is an active group of fellow sufferers tho it does slow down on the weekends a bit. For a while now we've been posting our weight and/or food plan on the dated post that Judy starts each morning. You're welcome to join us or just lurk. Our goal is to eat in a much more healthy way and try and eat a rainbow of foods. We think that is the best way to sustainable weight loss because we've tried all the fad diets., and here we are. New voices are always a treat!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 209 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rayve replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks for the welcome!! I feel like family already I'd post my weight, but I'm afraid to get on the scale, there'd be another bout of depression I'm sure. For now I think I will just say that I am on or about 240, 5'8. I am hoping to drop 60 pounds to begin with, and see where it goes from there. My problem is I think that during the day I barely eat...some crackers and cheese maybe...or a sandwich....but LOTS of coffee and cream. Seems that stops my hunger. At dinner time and at night is when I really shovel it in my mouth....I really need to change that and start eating more often during the day....just one of the habits I'll have to conquer. Anyway....I look forward to some good chats and ideas from you all..and I hope I can lend my shoulder, or help with some of my experiences....VIVA LA DIET!!!
Hugz to all "665
A year from now, you may wish you had started today- Robert Schuller

tbird88 replied to rayve's response:
Welcome aboard rayve
Tia SW 267 CW 231.4GW 160

rayve replied to tbird88's response:
Thanks tbird!!

jis4judy replied to rayve's response:
Hi Rayve
welcome we like to think of this as a life long journey to better health it is better than a diet . Diets are a short term fix for along term problem so it never works the regaining happens when you go off the diet .. so make changes that can improve your eating habits and keep the changes forever that way you have maintaining built in
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rayve replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy! Yes, I absolutely agree.....personally I think diet is a dirty word. I think we need to make lifestyle changes....body, mind and spirit....hopefully I can gather from this place some new ideas, make some sane changes in my habits. I sure hope I am able to give some insight as well....I do have to say this though, this is the first time I have tried something like this....keeping my worries, sadness and yes, I'll say it, shame to myself for all these years has taken it's toll I think, and to be part of this community I feel will make a great change....I am so happy I stumbled across this site.
Hugz Rayve "665

totallywiggedout replied to rayve's response:
Welcome rayve.
Teeny tiny steps to make big changes you can live with.
First off, I urge you to start a food and fitness log., either here on WebMD, fitday, a phone app...wherever. You need to measure and log everything for awhile because you are a "grazer" type eater, you can piece eat your way through two days worth of calories without even realizing it.
log all that coffee creamer too....biiiiig fat calories there
then...start cutting back some....half the cream per cup, then 1/4..
substitute some unsweete'd baking cocoa and stevia for robust flavor that is chocolate and heart healthy(a great combination if there ever was one)

after a couple of weeks of focusing on the logs... add in a short walk every day , over and above what you normally do. Just as you lesson the creamer... add another 5 min of walking every week.....don't fret over distance. just up your time.

put down the coffee cup and drink water, you need at least 64oz a day of it.

that's it. you'll see a big difference in a month, I promise.

hugs
kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs loss per month, goal 135

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

rayve replied to totallywiggedout's response:
~waves at Kim~ HI!! Thanks for the welcome. I am a grazer...and yes, lol...I really need to stop with the creamer, but I love your idea of taking it down a bit at a time....it never occurred to me to back off a little at a time. I guess my mind set is all or nothing. Thanks for the advice....Monday is my start day....crossing my fingers....
much "665

totallywiggedout replied to rayve's response:
rayve, that's why diets fail. It's all or nothing.
Like they put a shock collar on you, so if you "step out of bounds" you get a reminder zap that you have FAILED.
This is life... no one fails at life.

This health journey is like a road trip. You have choices all along the path, right? Right, Left, straight....no choice is necessarily wrong, but it will most assuredly show you something new and different from those other choices . The journey will end. It's what you make of it while you're in the driver's seat that counts.

hugs
k
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs loss per month, goal 135

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

bigred53 replied to rayve's response:
Hi Rayve! Guess what? Monday is my start day too. Re-start day that is. Every Monday I vow to make the coming week a better and healthier one.

I was a creamer freak too. French vanilla. I've been off it going on three months at least. I still stop at McDonald's every morning on my way to work and get a sugar free vanilla iced. coffee. Weekends it's plain sweetened coffee. I haven't had full sugar soda since April 12th. I made a deal with myself that if I could go for a month without soda I could buy myself a new pair of smaller pants. Two pairs now.

I'm a grazer at work. During the day I eat two fat free Greek yogurts, blueberries or blackberries, sugar snap peas or snow peas or green beans. Then for lunch I'll have a cup of low fat cottage cheese and a plate of cut up celery or cucumbers with a V8 juice. I usually have some apples around just in case I get the munchies. I also have a serving of pistachios daily or almonds. For dinner I usually have some kind of salad, usually grilled chicken. I try to sensible on the weekends too. Try being the key word. I've been known to get pizza on occasion.

This is a wonderful site with wonderful and caring regulars. Please keep coming back. You sound like someone who has a lot of knowledge and insight. We can all learn together how to win this war we're all fighting. It won't be easy but it's so worth it.

My next gift to myself will be an Anuschka purse when I finally get to onederland - under 200 pounds. I'm shooting for 190 by Christmas. I've got my work cut out for me. I know that the friends I have made here will cheer me on and Judy will wave her hot pink pom poms too.

I've got to get a move on and get my supplements together.

Michelle

rayve replied to bigred53's response:
Michelle!! Hi! MMMM French vanilla, my favourite! I think I will make that my reward once a month for good behaviour lol. OK...Coffee this morning no sugar and half the cream...it's not so bad actually, I think I can do it. I have been thinking...instead of making my goal 60 or 70 pounds, I will make my goal 10 pounds (6 or 7 times) perhaps when I make the easier goal, I will be really motivated for the next 10 pound goal. I am swearing off junk food this week. I will still eat what I usually do this week without all the potato chips/sweets/pie/ice cream etc...one battle at a time. Next week I will start buying more veggies and fruit...whole wheat bread...and lean protein...I am going to have a problem getting a breakfast in, I very rarely eat it...maybe a smoothie might work, anybody have a good one they can share?

Hi Rayve
breakfast was hard for me too because I was one of those night snackers so I made a cut off time like 8pm about 3 hours before bedtime then I woke up hungry and breakfast was no longer a problem

if you use smoothies make them yourself because the store bought ones are loaded with unhealthy stuff it is good you choose to look at this journey as 10 pounds at a time

Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rayve replied to jis4judy's response:
Yes, I think it will be easier to do the 10 lb thing...I will make the smoothies myself, just gotta figure out what to make them with...I'm thinking bananas, yogurt and another kind of fruit....not sure if soy or almond milk is better to use than just regular milk

Kim is an expert on smoothies I used to freeze the banana slices before adding them to the smoothie
here is one I used to make
1/3 C fat free plain yogurt 40
a half a small banana frozen 35 cals
1/2 c raspberries 30
if too thick ad a splash of fat free milk
if you like chocolate add in a tablespoon ovaltine 20 cals

try different things that you like in them just be aware of the calories
Hugs Judy

Spotlight: Member Stories

i'm 43 and at my highest weight ever. I am having a problem getting motivated. I start out good and within a few days i'm messing up and think...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.