Skip to content
I need HELP!
mrjotto posted:
I'm in the similar boat as many of you however, just a little further downstream, unfortunately. I'm 45 years old, 5'8" and weigh 370 (I just weight myself today and freaked out as it is the highest I've ever been). I have 6 kids and realize that my weight is keeping me from being the Dad I want/need to be. In general I'm a good Dad and my kids love me and I them but I could be so much better if more healthy. As a youth I was very athletic and received lots of enjoyment in being active. I would love to go mountain biking or play soccer with them but I'm to the point that that is not a reality for me. When I think about these things I tend to beat myself up for letting it get this far. In many ways I hate what I have allowed myself to become...but I see that for what it is - a downward spiral... so I need to move beyond the self pity and take back my life. I have to be responsible for my weight and have the self discipline to change. I'm ready to start this journey! I'm open to suggestions on best eating plans and exercise/activity plans to get back on track. I'm also open to advice on how to stay positive, motivated and committed. Have any of you found tool that have helped?

jis4judy responded:
Hi Mr jotto welcome you are a youngster to me
you can start right away drinking more water cutting out junk foods . I find that focusing on nutrition then portion control is a great way to change your life start slowly so you don;t get overwhelmed make some healthy changes you can live with forever . because diets are temporary you need a permanent plan to live your life as a healthy person
that way the maintaining is built in

avoid processed foods eat more fruits and vegies whole grains lean meats fish even nuts in moderation fat free dairy
learn to drink coffee black
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

spayne1090 replied to jis4judy's response:
I am were you are its great you see the errors of you ways. I started hitting the gym I walk, run a little, bike, and sweat sweat sweat. Its so hard to push myself but I want to live and if that's what you really want then fight for it, One day at a time sweet Jesus that all I ask yesterday gone and today is all I have. Its not easy but you can do it. As I am speaking to you I am speaking to myself. We are worth all the work.

totallywiggedout responded:
hey Jotto, welcome aboard.
Listen to Judy, she's our tribe elder and local soothsayer
She has also lost 100 lbs and has kept it off for many years, without surgery and without starving herself.

Helpful hints
1. start a food and fitness planner and be religious to it. The one here on WebMD, Fitday, sparkpeople, on a phone app.... they are mostly all free and super easy to use. Some of the phone app ones even have barcode scanners to make it easier for you to log the portion of that item for your intake.
BE HONEST in logging your portions and your condiments and your exercise. It matters.

2. Don't stop cold turkey on the things that you have been eating on a daily basis. Just cut back at first. Use half the creamer(or whatever), then a week later, go to 1/4 , then even less till you aren't using any.

3. Drink water. Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. GO LARGE on the water bottle, get a cheapy 32 oz'r at Big Lots and make it your best friend.
You need to drink at least 64 oz of water a day.

4. Exercise is nice but focus on getting in the groove with your food first. Don't try to do and change everything all at once. You'll quit because you'll get overwhelmed.
Do the logs for a couple of weeks, cutting back and working with your intake to feed your body instead of your moods.
Then start taking short walks. Walk for 15 min or so for a week . then up the time by 5 min. Work your way up to walking for 30-40 min then stay at that level for a month. Then add another 10 min each month till you are walking for an hour.
An hour walk , once a day will do more for you at first than letting the free weights at the gym kick your ass.
Weight training is for people that are at a lesser weight and who are ready to start working on the looser skin. It also makes you gain muscle mass, which weighs more than fat, so you don't want to add too much muscle at first because your mind will see those numbers on the scale and you'll get depressed without thinking it through... and you may quit.
just walk. It's truly the best exercise.

hugs
kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs loss per month, goal 135

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

blondie454u responded:
Welcome!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

blondie454u responded:
Welcome!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

I just graduated from university with my Bachelor of Science in Psychology! Unfortunately, that's not all I gained from college lol. Hopefully I w...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.