Skip to content
New! WebMD's Food & Fitness Planner
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Great news! WebMD has re-vamped & re-launched our already popular Food & Fitness Planner to make it much simpler to track your daily nutrition and exercise.

There's some magic in keeping a food diary — one study found it can double a person's weight loss! The researchers discovered that the more food records people kept, the more weight they lost.

With this new WebMD tool you will be able to:

• Set your personal weight goals and WebMD will calculate calorie recommendations on how to achieve them.
  • Discover calories and nutrition facts for 1000's of foods and beverages or create your own, all of which you can log to a meal time.
  • Choose from 100's of popular activities or add your own to create custom workouts.
  • Track your calories and view your progress to stay on track.
  • Monitor your nutrient intake with our saturated fat, fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrate, fiber, sugar, and protein trackers.
  • View progress reports to see how your weight has changed over time.

Not sure how to use a food diary for the best results? Take a look at these 8 Tips For Making a Food Diary Work For You to get you off on the right track.

Let us know what you think! Do you already keep a food journal of some sort? What do you like (or not like) about your method? Has it helped you lose weight or does it seem like an unnecessary chore?

Please share your thoughts with us below!
Was this Helpful?
33 of 43 found this helpful

lizjenb responded:
I just started using the food and fitness planner available from webmd. My question is in my fitness log, should I include things like sleeping and watching tv, because I understand the body burns calories just to survive. But does the amount of calories they expect you to burn take into account your basal metabolic rate? Should I include the 500 calories i burned sleeping 8 hours, or is it cheating? thanks!

Cyncha617 replied to lizjenb's response:
Hi, today is my first day using the food & fitness planner. I too was wondering the same thing. I hope someone posts us an answer soon! Thanks for the question!

bz62311 replied to Cyncha617's response:
Ditto. Today is my fourth day on here and I've been logging my sleep and all. But I've already met my fitness goal and am over by 4000 calories already! That's great and all, but I haven't done anything more than usual... and if that's the case, then I'm just going to keep gaining weight!

maybembt replied to bz62311's response:
I'm no expert, but I think you should just be logging any extra exercise that you have added since starting your lifestyle changes.
Marybeth 228-204-150 Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses; let us lay aside every weight,and the sin which so easily snares us, and let us run with endurance the race set before us

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. Im a 26yr old mother, wife, and full-time employee. And I am extremely over weight. Approximately 102 lbs to be exact. I feel terrible about m...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.