Skip to content
Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is Claiming Your Life Back.

What was your life's changing point that made you really decide in your heart that you were going to get your weight under control? Was it something critical in your health? A longing to be active with your kids? Fear of what the side effects would be?

Share how YOU made your decision to get started on your weight loss journey and claim your life and health back again. If you just read this and you've now decided to make the change, share with us!

We want to hear your best tips on how you got started, your determination to be successful, or what's holding you back and why.
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

jis4judy responded:
Hi Andie my journey to weight loss was triggered by my decision to change my eating habits to improve my health weight loss wasn;t the goal at first I was just changeing the chemistry of my body to help it heal itself better . My daughter noticed I had lost some weight so I weighed myself and started looking into diet clubs on web md thats were I found out about fitday and I have been useing it since then ,, the discussions on the boards were very inspireing . I learned a lot about nutrition during my journey and I feel like I have attained most of my goals.
My best tips are to log in here daily and post frustrations and victorys keep a good eye on nutrition it helps a lot
logg food and exercise drink lots of water eliminate proccessed foods
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy,

Thanks for sharing your tips. When you say that you wanted to change your body chemistry so you'd heal faster, were you experiencing an illness that your weight was causing?

I agree wholeheartedly about logging in here daily to stay motivated. I'm thankful that I was given some of the diet and fitness boards to moderate because there is no escape for me! LOL

The day I really changed my thinking and took control back was the day I watched all my kids go off to the County Fair and I couldn't join them because my weight had caused severe sciatic pain and planter's foot.

I sat there crying after they left. Feeling like I was the worst mom in the world and beating myself up for not being able to be active with my kids. I'd gained over 100 lbs in less than 5 years,was miserable, and lonely.

So, I got determined. I didn't have any friends really, not any that I'd exercise with anyway. I got online and formed my own Meetup group specifically for other ladies that were overweight. I had over 100 ladies sign up within a month! Not all show up, but enough did that we've been walking and exercising together for one year now, and I've made lifelong friends.

There is a saying that I can't recall fully, but basically it says that if no opportunity presents itself to you, then make your own. If you really want something bad enough it will appear in your life...it may take some creativity on your part, but just act on your intuition and your dreams will follow.

jis4judy replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
yes Andie I was haveing problems the pain in my joints wasn;t enough to make the change but the fear of going blind did it for me .. when I was researching my macualr degeneration problem it appeared that certain foods made it worse that was high fats and sugars . more rainbow like fruits and vegies was the replacement they were suppose to help .. so I embarked on the journey with the hope I could accually make it go away by changeing my intake of nutrients,,I really believed I could grow new maculas so far no new macualas but a new med came around in 2005 and it worked better in me than anyone else in the program ... So I am doing something right I started this plan in April 2003 around june of 2006 my life long struggle with asthma went away so again my body chose to fix my breatheing before my eyes I am still hopeing I can make it go away just like the asthma ..
My doctor says that the asthma isn;t gone it is just not acting up now... I was on lots of meds for many years since I was 5 years old and I haven't had any since 2006 about 4 years the thing to remember is I didn;t get imidiate results it took 3 years of eating mostly clean healthy foods before I got the results .. the joint pain was reduced sooner than anything else thats intertesting I think thats because the extra weight was what was makeing them hurt
I know how it feels to be too fat to join in on the fun I remember being so nervous walking with my grandkids and I couldn;t keep up with them .. the last time I saw them they had a hard time keeping up with me,,Lol
I was a mess until I had that thought that I could eat healthy and see if that would change my destiny it did .
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

An_245243 responded:
like so many I have had injuries and illness that laid me up for long periods, and prone to gain weight easily, and when not active get hungry. Too hungry. I love good food and cooking, but finance is an issue, so finding this online is a great tool for me. Read Webmd mag in dr's offices, loved it, but now it's a click here and there and I can get a meal idea, track myself and see how things really are adding up, not just calories, but fats, carbs, all the important stuff. Great idea Webmd. I'm over 60, and want to look better, want to feel better, want to pay attention. One thing I don't want is a punishing environment, so this gives me the chance to discipline myself in a healthy way with a healthy attitude. I' really feel good about this, can see I'll make it because it is reasonable.

blondie454u replied to An_245243's response:
Welcome! Great attitude!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

keepthefaith217 responded:
Living in our home is 4 generations. My mom, me, my daughter, and my grandson. My mom has her own 1 bedroom apt. one flight down. Me, my daughter and grandson live upstairs, along with our dog and cat. I always knew and wanted to lose the weight. And waited patiently, month after month, year after year, to begin on Monday. Monday, came and went several thousand times, and I got heavier. About, 3 months ago, I noticed, when walking upstairs from my mom's apt. and reaching the top step, I was short of breath. It never happened before then. So, I instantly, figured, I gained more weight. I also notice my ankles swell at times and had not before. The shortness of breath scared me the most. I began to cut back, yet, still binged on my sweets. Then, I saw WebMD advertisement, and checked it out. To my amazement, they had a weight loss program. On 4/27, I weighed in. And, on 4/28, my journey to weight loss began......Thank You WebMD you saved my life !!!!

An_257779 responded:
I want to live and not allow my fears of failure keep me down. At time I feel hopeless but I keep trying to change my life. Only I can change me. Its the fear that I will fail I have to fight.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 48 and would like to shed 50 pounds. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years; I love to be active outdoors; I feel like I have a healthy lifesty...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.