Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Stand Up For Weight Loss
    apierich posted:
    One of my tricks I have started is standing more often. If I am in a place where there is a seat available I ask myself "How long am I going to be in this room anyway?" and if it is going to be less than 10 minutes I decide to just stand. It doesn't burn a lot of calories but it does burn some and keep you ready for movement. If ten minutes sounds like too long or is painful, start out with a smaller time limit and work your way up. Even as little as one minute of standing can burn something, and you don't have to fight to stand up from a possibly uncomfortable chair. I started at five minutes and have worked my way up over a couple months. I am planning on working up to thirty minutes little by little.
    apierich- SW 249 GW 145 CW 205
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 5 found this helpful

mefirstforever responded:
    Yes it's a good Idea but I can't stand for long.
    So my trick is to park my car as far as possible at the mall or anywhere to do some walking. Take the stairs instead of the elevators or excalators.
    Helene GW 150 CW 198 SW 224
    Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

blondie454u responded:
    Another thing that is that I try to always keep moving for the most part. If I know laundry or dishes need to be done anything like that I just go ahead and do it. I think to myself that is another way to burn a few extra calories.
    Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

apierich replied to mefirstforever's response:
    My mother-in-law had the same problem with hurting from standing for more than a minute in one place, so it's not for everyone. Kudos for the parking farther away and walking more, it helps alot to keep moving and hurts less than standing still. I've had back problems since I was a teenager and sometimes I still can't stay standing for more than a minute or two.
    apierich- SW 249 GW 145 CW 205

Spotlight: Member Stories

It took me many years to put on this extra 100 lbs plus and I know it will take me some time to get it off but one day at a time and God by my side I ...More

Helpful Tips

Eating potato salad without feeling guilty
    The other night I bought a container of potato salad for dinner and instead of having a big pile of it on my plate, I filled half of my ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.