Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Walking up stairs...continue
Kourtne posted:
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to add to the stair climbing tip b/c I love doing it. I live in a flat so when the weather is really bad(like today its snowing) or I'm too lazy to go out I can just go out on my door step and get a great cardio workout!

Benefits:

If your a 200lb person walking up stairs for 20 mins you lose about 242 calories and 726 after an hour. Compared to normal walking at mph 3 you will only burn 76 calories in 20 mins!(remember the more you weigh the more calories you burn!)

It also becomes a full body workout. You mainly workout your glutes, thighs and calves but you still get a great ab and arm work out.

You can do this anywhere there are stairs and its cheap too!

My 30min workout: 5 mins walking up stairs and 1 min running up stairs. alternate until you reach 30 mins

Warning: Do not run down stairs you would put 7 times more impact on your body if you do.

Also, if you have bad knees this may not be a good exercise for you.

Hope this helps!
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

jean4u responded:
I really like anyway to get in exercise using the things we have at hand.

I like that your blog included the benefits of stairs as a workout.

BTW, for those of us with bad knees there are chair exercises and a Pedlar (can sit in a chair and peddle).

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

All my life I have been considered bigger than everyone else. I used to blame it on my asthma and allergies. I decided to put a stop to it. I am t...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.