Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Smart Emotional Eating
blondie454u posted:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/16/emotional-eating-trick-to-staying-slim/?intcmp=features
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

abnersmom responded:
I love this: "When you eat to feel good, let yourself feel good. Then move on." Very wise indeed.
Debbie SW 265 CW 177 GW 150 - Today, I choose the higher road -
the path of charity, acceptance, love, selflessness, kindness.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
yup it is good to not totally give up what you really love ...
limit portions and feel good about it Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

norma_j responded:
That's why Hagan-Daaz only comes in pints.. you never want too much of a good thing.
Norma SW 222/ CW 194/ GW 150

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

jis4judy replied to norma_j's response:
Hi Norma that haganmdaaz you mentioned was something that made me choke once I had lost a few pounds when I was in my late 30s and decided to buy a pint of hagan dazz as I was about to eat some of it I started to read the label it had over 1200 cals in that little container I nearly choked on the firt spoon full.. so even a pint should be shared with a few others
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mommaxeli responded:
I love how I feel after I've indulged smartly.

Under normal circumstances, I feel "guilty" when I have a treat unplanned. And unplanned treats tend to lead to binges for me, too. I get the attitude of , "Oh, well. The day is already blown. May as well go all out!" Still working on that attitude...it's happening less and less now.

But when I've planned a treat and looked forward to it all week, it's 100% more satisfying. And I don't feel the need for more. I know I've "earned" it.

I actually had a conversation with my stepdaughter about something similar recently. She's extremely overweight and I'm trying to help her make better decisions without actually coming right out and telling her what and how to eat. So I explained how measuring things is not only good for portion control but it helps me not feel so guilty. Our example was peanut butter. It's very easy to overestimate measuring it, so I always use the measuring tablespoon. Otherwise, I'll take too much and there will be leftover...and I'll still finish it. But if I measure it, I know I have a tablespoon. I know how much is left for dipping my apples in. And when there's leftover, I don't feel guilty for finishing it off because I knew I had that much to eat to begin with. (She's been using the measuring spoon ever since!)
Work at home Mom of four :) SW: 260 CW: 155 GW: 145

norma_j replied to mommaxeli's response:
I got my daughter interested in the WebMD food and fitness planner. She and her husband had spent the night at my house and when we got up in the morning and had breakfast I got immediately on the computer and logged my food. She payed real close attention and I talked a little about it. She decided on her own to start on the plan and is doing really well for the most part. She has had company for the past two weeks so she has been kind of lax, but they will be gone Friday and I know she will get right back to it. She liked that she was losing some of the weight.

That is a good idea to plan a treat. Then you look forward to it!

jean4u replied to mommaxeli's response:
I use those small plastic salad dressing/condiment ramekins you get at restaurants. I wash them and re use for my "measured" dips. By using these I can ration my dips and have gotten accustomed to using less dip on my foods.

This really is a learning process.

You are being a good step-mom by taking the time to share. This may not happen that she will change quickly, but at least you are planting the information. When she is ready she will use it. We all had to get to our "ready-spot".

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
OH! I saw that walmart is actually carrying those little condiment cups n lids now right down from the dixie cups. They arent too much over a couple bucks and you get a bunch of them in the pkg.
Kim SW 243 CW 210.4 GW 135 Diet and Exercise go hand in hand--
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

mommaxeli replied to jean4u's response:
You're right, Barb. She will use the info when ready. I just keep adding little hints here and there. The tough part is that she's only 16. A very hard time for any girl, let alone an overweight one. I do not want her to think she's not good enough or pretty enough already. But I also do not want her to keep going at the pace she's setting, either. It's a fine line, for sure! It helps that we are close and she's expressed an interest in losing weight. So my comments/suggestions aren't coming out of nowhere or anything. It's still a delicate situation, though!
Work at home Mom of four :) SW: 260 CW: 155 GW: 145

norma_j replied to mommaxeli's response:
She has got to be paying attention to what you have done! It will take time.. Teenage girls are the hardest to get through to... but if she thinks it is her idea it's all good.Best of luck to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I am new at this. Just looking for a little support, I am 33 and a mother of three. I have a wonderful husband, He supports my every attempt a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.