Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
differnce between margarine and butter
jis4judy posted:
"Pass The Butter ... Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads ...together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

totallywiggedout responded:
Wow Judy. I finally got the time to read this and .... well, wow.
Since starting my journey, I had decided to go as natural and nutritious as possible especially with the fats I used. I knew that man made foods are usually suspect, but some of the statistics you posted here blew me away.
Nasty stuff that margarine, huh?
Thanks for posting this. I'm gonna repost on my fb page so that all of my loved ones can get the hint, for real, that real is better.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Yes kim I was shocked when I read that too I imagine it is the same for shortning it is also margarine without coloring
and to think I used to use that all the time in my bakeing both of them believeing it was healthier than real butter . I am thinking real stuff is better than anything manufactured
so I use real everything in smaller amounts ...
I just have stopped trusting business in this world /
Hugs Judy:)

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
It's funny though, when I tell my friends and kids that I use butter and real honest to goodness LARD , lol, you should see their faces!
True, I don't eat homemade biscuits or homemade waffles/pancakes very often, but I refuse to make em with shortening anymore. Lard is natural and that's it, for me.
On the bright side, my oldest son and his wife couldn't stop complimenting me and embarrassing me with thier asst friends and family about my weightloss.
Aleecia actually went and looked for one of my old nursing smocks that I loved to wear, cause they were so ROOMY , before my journey began.
I got into it and wrapped that waiste tie TWICE around then made a bow, lol.
I can remember when that top was snug, and so could they.
The actually said that if they'd seen me at walmart with my back turned they never would've figred it to be me.
Nice to have someone who hasn't seen me since the beginning have those kinds of reactions. Because, I have sort of become Used to the way I look and have gotten slightly complacent about how far I've actually come so far.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 183.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
We used to have a crock on the stove to save the fat drippings (aka LARD) to cook with later. My Mom used lard, butter, then margarine. Dad ate all her cooking and lived to 101. He ate pies and cookies and alot of nuts (we had a walunt tree). He was very active and never had a weight problem.

You deserve compliments on your weightloss, Kim. What fun to put on that old smock. I love it when I see poeple, like you, hold up their old jeans and they can fit their whole body in one pant leg.....so COOL! Just incredible how these healthy choices add up.

Bummer, my DH just discovered the water heater burst. Mopping up, mopping up........OK, bright side, good exercise. Probably will skip dance tonight. This could be all day project. Will stay out of his way until needed. I did help mop, though.

Must not get derailed with eating plan! This will be tough. I don't do well when I have down time or plans change. Guess I am boredom eater/mindless eating. No no remind self of those TWO STICKS of butter that can become ONE POUND!!!

I can do this!

Barb

blondie454u replied to jean4u's response:
I hope you guys get it fixed!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good for you Kim!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim
awsome getting all those responces from family like that and trying on your smock and wrapping around 2 times wow
yes I will have to revisit lard and see what I can do with it the problem I have with lard is it sounds yucky LOl
Hugs Judy:)

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Barb sorry about the water heater I get derailed myself when I am bored
and mopping up is good exercise' Hugs Judy:)

jean4u replied to blondie454u's response:
OMG, DH went out and next thing I saw a Home Depot truck in the drive. I though it was a delivery. Turns out DH rented the truck and brought home the new water heater HIMSELF!

Barb

P.S. He's 69 yrs. old.

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I'm just glad we were home and DH decided to check the furnace filter. He hasn't gone in the basement in awhile so it was a real lucky thing that he did that. It was alot of work but could have been alot worse.

BTW, he did complain that the cost of water heaters has gone up. Last time he bought one was 30 yrs. back and they were $150 and that included installing. This one (gas) was over $300 not with installation or delivery.

Barb

P.S. Guess we got ourselves a "little" project! (the installation)

blondie454u replied to jean4u's response:
You have a wonderful DH!

jean4u replied to blondie454u's response:
I agree!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have a lot of weight to lose and hoping that I can get help and support from others on here and I hope that I can return the help and support too (s...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.