Skip to content
differnce between margarine and butter
jis4judy posted:
"Pass The Butter ... Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads ...together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

abnersmom responded:
I use butter in small amounts just like you do, Judy. For the same cals., you get so much more flavor and obviously, not the artificial stuff! Thanks for posting.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

mefirstforever responded:
Judy I also agree butter is better in reasonable quantity.

I remember when I was younger the margarine was white in a bag like the milk bags with a red pouch that you would burst and mix by squishing the bag yuk !!!
I wonder know what kind of red coloring was in that red pouch.

Thanks for sharing
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

jean4u responded:
I use the "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" spray. I don't like the greasy after taste from butter even though I like the flavor. I don't bake so I just use the spray olive oil and Canola oil for eggs and the such. I don't use alot of any of the sprays.

I do see the health benefits of using natural over man-made products, though.

Barb

jean4u replied to mefirstforever's response:
Helene, My Mom used to tell me about mixing margarine with the red color. They did that during the Depression when butter was not available. They would have card parties and for their treat, it would be baked bread and that margarine. They also could not get nylon stockings and put some dye on their legs and would have to draw line to make that seam that was popular in ladies nylons (on the back of the leg). So this would create the effect of having nylons on.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
High Barb I use both real butter on some things and allways in bakeing but I do use the olive oil I can;t believe it's not butter sprat too because when I read the ingredients it seems as far as my knowledge goes to be a good choice until I hear otherwise I am useing it .. the thing is margarine if you read the whole story was used at first to fatten turkeys and it killed the turkeys so they decided it was better for humans to replace butter with it that shook me up a little
Hugs Judy:)

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

j9celeste responded:
Judy

Thank you for posting this enlightening article! My husband, who is a chemist, has been telling me for years how unhealthy margarine is and we have only had butter in our house. This article explained it so well even I understand it

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you that YOU love, well that's just fabulous. SW 286 CW 268

jis4judy replied to j9celeste's response:

Hi Celeste
I found that link on facebook and thought it was interesting
I prefer real butter for everything just try not to add too much a dab here and there goes a long way.
Hugs Judy:)

Spotlight: Member Stories

So glad I found this support group. I am inclined 2 b a loner and now that I'm not working it's 2 ez 2 b a recluse (& eat). Hi school days...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.