Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diet Club Newcomer Tips
Louise_WebMD_Staff posted:
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and information on just how diet clubs at WebMD work.

Let's build a new one using this tip area (and be sure to vote saying it is helpful so it stays visible in the right side bar for new members.)

Share your tips for new members-from how to feel comfortable as part of this support group to the tools you use and any thing that will help get the new members started on their road to a healthier lifestyle.

I know you have tips-so hit reply and share.
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

pallzy responded:
My favorite tip is to not try to change everything overnight. Make a change or two a week. Get used to those changes, then make new ones. Small changes really do add up.

Another big one for me - don't beat yourself up. Nobody's perfect, we all make mistakes. Just don't let them totally derail you.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 162

jis4judy responded:
HI my favorite tip is journal every bite lick taste and use a food scale for accurate measureing ..
I use fitday to logg all my foods and exercise

http://www.fitday.com/

and my favorite site for nutrition is

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey

blondie454u responded:
My favorite tip is taking things slow and to eat as close to nature as possible because it taste so good.
Amber CW 129, SW 250. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

68sunshine responded:
I hope you keep this diet club going it is just what I need.I need this to keep me motivated.The first thing I had to do is to love me enough to be strong enough to say no to firends and family when they say ah just a little bit won't hurt.It is hard but I do it.And I feel so good about myself afterwards.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Tools here at WebMD that can help you lose weight:

Food and Fitness Planner - Does a quick calculation of your target daily intake and allows you to plan your meals and exercise for the day.

Diet Health Check Find your target calorie intake, get suggestions on how to lose weight, identify your weight loss pitfalls and get tips for overcoming them

BMI Plus Calculator This health and weight calculator that gives personal results on 6 different weight and fitness measurements. Whether you're just getting started or have already begun your journey, this calculator will help you understand your body's needs as your body changes for optimal personal success!

Portion Size Plate We all think we can "eyeball" a portion but studies show that most people underestimate their portion size but more than half. That can add up when it comes to trying to lose weight.

1. Calories count-no matter what the diet you follow says-the only way to lose weight involves calories. Consume fewer calories than you need for activities of daily living in order to lose weight.

Unless you have a super physical job-choose sedentary on the calorie calculator. That hour at the gym every day likely isn't burning as many calories as the machine says you burn. If you are losing too much weight eating at the sedentary calorie level-then add calories.

2. Measure portions. A scale and measuring cups can tell you amazing things. Most people underestimate their portion size.

3. Make changes slowly-don't decide that you want to lose weight so you won't eat anything you like until you lose all of the weight. Very few people stick to that type of diet and if they do-when they hit the magic number-the pounds fly back on with extra calories.

4. Accountability-Post your DFJ (Daily Food Journal). Confess your slips, falls off the wagon, decision that dessert tasted better than healthy choices, and your success.

The bravest, strongest, most beautiful people on these exchanges share not only their ups but their downs. Make it a habit to post daily or at least several times a week-even if you are having a horrible week or are super busy.

Newcomer FAQs

How do I join a diet club?:
There is nothing to "joining a diet club". Just introduce yourself and start posting.

Do I need to follow a certain diet? No-We have members who follow a variety of approaches to shedding weight.

You can learn the pros and cons of many diets by checking out the diets that interest you on the Diets A to Z page . Each diet listed has been evaluated by multiple health professionals.

Most members follow a plan that simply controls calories, increases activity and changes the ways they think about food, exercise and healthy lifestyle.

How do I find a buddy? Every member of the diet club is your buddy! All members lend each other support and accountability. Ask for help. Lend an ear. Encourage others and ask for encouragement.

If you want to email with someone from the community-get to know us first. Then share an email address where someone can contact you off the diet club group. We recommend you use a "disposable" or junk email address. (There are services for this or you can get a gmail, yahoo or hotmail account for this purpose.) for this purpose-not your home or work email address. This keeps those email addresses from being gathered by spammers or by people you may not wish to have off the community contact with and if your home or work email address contains your full name-it may help protect your privacy.

Who are the experts? There are no health professionals on the WebMD Diet Clubs. That said-every member of these communities knows the ins and outs of shedding weight.

That said-related communities do have experts:

Diet - Dr. Pam Peeke - an expert on diet and fitness and author of numerous books including Body for Life and Fit to Live.

Fitness and Exercise - Rich Weil Rich Weil can answer all your fitness and exercise questions (though he will send you here for diet questions.)

Food and Cooking - Elaine Magee , Dietitian- The Recipe Doctor. Elaine Magee can answer all of your questions about special diets, about how to substitute healthier foods in your diet, how to get your kids to eat healthy, how to find healthy fast food, restaurant portions and best of all-if you share a family favorite recipe-she can analyze it and help you "lighten" the recipe so that you can have your favorites and still eat healthy.

She has written may books including "Tell me what to eat if I have IBS", "Tell Me What to Eat if I have Acid Reflux" and "Food Synergy" as well as cookbooks like "Comfort Food Makeover

Low_Stress_Weight_Loss responded:
This is a great list!

I very much agree with two that are already here :

Forgive your transgressions (don't expect perfection) and

Build up slowly.

One thing that really works for me is to make a weight loss plan for each week (I make it on Monday mornings). It really helps me to think about the specifics of what I'm facing that week, and adjust my plan accordingly. Sometimes I can have a really focused, exercise-filled week. Sometimes I have to consider success only having 3 desserts in a week. I work full time & travel a ton so I have challenges that vary a lot, and this approach really works well for me.

...and when things slow down, I go to the food journal as the next step too!

A favorite series of mine from our Diet Expert, Dr. Pam Peeke:

Week 1: For Lasting Change, Start with a Power Mind
Week 2: The Secret to Dropping Real Weight is to Eat Real Food
Week 3: The Next Step is the Big Step
Week 4: The Lifestyle Rx for Muffin Tops and Menopots
Week 5: Don't Self-Destruct! Adapt and Adjust!
Week 6: Shoot for Progress, Not Perfection
Week 7: Find the Motivation That Sticks
Week 8: There Is No Finish Line

zozozJen responded:
My tips are read the food labels, calorie count and don't eat Trans fats, saturated fats, hydrogenated fats or fructose and corn syrup. Your arteries will Thank You for it.

tawyn replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks I needed that I realize I must confess the good and bad no matter how it looks. When I tried to loss weight before I tried to change everything from the start and get fed up and go back to my old ways. I doing it different, I'm taking baby steps today

Wanda153 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
that is so true re underestimating the portion size and therefore all the numbers--once you actually start tracking numbers. It makes you realize that you are eating for more than one person, no wonder you're not getting anywhere. It is good to start a reasonable goal, and if you've done the rollercoaster and ended up bigger, well, reasonable is a nice calming and motivating word.

rohvannyn responded:
jean4u replied to abnersmom 's response: Balance, balance and practice, practice!

What I am going to say next has nothing to do with any topic but I read this the other day and wrote it down and want to shar it here. It is the acronym HALT. Ask yourself BEFORE the first bite when starting a binge, are you Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. Really, for me the first bit in a binge is mindless comfort eating. I will try to remember HALT and think about why I am doing it.

Now I am going to pass on this thought about when we do indulge in that extra piece of pizza, sometimes we feel like we shot the day so let's continue eating. Just consider for example, when we get a traffic ticket, do we go about breaking all the traffic laws, or just suck it up and do better.

I need all these ideas to help me stay in the mindful eating zone.

Barb
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have lost 701bs before many years ago. I am now about 85lbs overweight. I don't have any health issues except my weight. I really want to be at ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.