Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
PROTONIX/PRILOSEC=STOMACH CANCER
kindness54 posted:
Hello. I am not trying to frighten anyone, however......last year, on WBZTV-Channel 4 in Allston, Mass. had on Dr. Malika Marshall from Massachusetts General Hospital....one of the BEST hospitals in the Country!

Her report: They had discovered that there was an unbelievable amount of people dying from STOMACH CANCER and most of them had "GERD." They had been in a "study" that was conducted. Naturally, the doctors all thought that the "GERD" had finally ended their lives after a long period of time having it. ****WRONG!!!!**** The results were astonishing!!! Also, EXTREMELY UPSETTING!! It had NOT been the "GERD" that had caused the STOMACH CANCER at all!! It was the "MEDICATION" given to those patients that caused them to get STOMACH CANCER!!!

Those medications were: PRILOSEC and PROTONIX!!!! The "study," Dr. Marshall stated had actually PROVEN that it was the MEDICATION that caused the CANCER.......NOT the "GERD!!!" What a TERRIBLE thing to have happen!! Obviously, the drug companies had never tested the medications thoroughly! All most of them care about is making $$$$$! We all know that.....so, when they THINK they have something to help, they do NOT do enough testing for a long enough period of time on people!!!! Thus.........the STOMACH CANCER!

I just wanted to let ALL of you know this! This is TOO important NOT to share with everyone! You can even check with WBZ-TV in Allston, Mass. The story was done last year, I believe. I, myself, had GERD. I was ALSO on "Protonix" for a number of months! I was terrified. I immediately STOPPED the medication per my Doctor and the pharmacist said it was alright to just "stop" also. You must check with your Doctor, though, first. Tell your Doctor about Dr. Malika Marshall from Mass. General in Boston and the studies that were done. Your LIVES are worth too much to "fool around with!!"

I now have been taking "PEPCID A/C" over-the-counter and to be honest.......it has helped ME, tremendously! My GERD has gotten better, anyway. PEPCID A/C is more like a stronger "TUMS," etc. PLEASE......listen to this story and check it out, yourselves if you would like to. It IS the TRUTH.

The "drug companies"....many of them, do NOT test these new drugs LONG ENOUGH to see what potential side-effects can happen to people.......like the "Celebrex" problem. Always, always, if you have ANY different side efects occuring after starting a drug......like some "statins" in :Lipitor or medicines for cholesterol.....many people have terrible MUSCLE PAIN in their legs after taking them and it is THOSE "statins" that is causing the PAIN in the LEGS! The doctor needs to KNOW!! It can leave PERMANENT damage to the muscles! Another medication: KLONOPIN......can cause either EXCESSIVE HAIR GROWTH or EXCESSIVE "LOSS" of HAIR!! Most people do NOT know that!!!

Always check with your pharmacist if something "different" is happening after starting a new drug. Usually, it is because of that drug!!

I just wanted you all to be aware......that's all. This is MUCH too important not to share!!!!

Thankyou. Sue

CalGal37 responded:
Sue, I hate to disagree with you, but I'd really like to see that segment in which the doc said that the meds caused cancer. If a doc dared to say thay the companies making those meds would be up in arms and suing that person so fast it would make their head spin. There have been a number of studies suggesting that longterm use of acid meds without proper testing CAN cover up the instances of stomach cancer until the situation is unfortunately far advanced, BUT I have yet to see one study that says that the meds actually CAUSE cancer. They can, however, cause polyps, bone loss and a host of other problems.

I know the doc's info is posted on a website and I've browsed it to find the article you mentioned iwthout any success. If you have that information, I'm sure there are many people that would like to read it, so please post the link.

In addition, ALL drugs have side-effects including the ones you have currently changed over to. It's up to the consumer to ask the doc what those side-effects are, or to look them up for themselves. Far too many people think that if there's a drug that's going to stop their pain or discomfort and they don't have to make any changes themselves which would inconvenience their current lifestyles, they'd rather take a pill. How many people do you know who stay with their regular diet instead of changing it to try to contole their reflux symptoms with diet and some light medication? Not many I'll bet. Who wants to give up all that good tasting food and eat a less fatty/spicy diet????

kindness54 responded:
CalGal,

Do you actually think, for one moment, that I would EVER come on here and tell people this TRUE story if it were not TRUE??!! I'll be honest with you, with all due respect(and yes, you have a right to your opinion, naturally), however........what you are doing is saying that I am NOT telling the truth, and I HIGHLY take OFFENSE to that, CalGal!!!!

If you do not believe me, why don't YOU call up WBZ-TV, Channel 4, Allston, Mass. on Monday and ask them about the story that Dr. Malika Marshall did on the study and how "stunned" SHE even was over the results!!! That is all you have to do, CalGal!! It's as simple as that! That way, after they tell you that, yes, she DID certainly have a segment on there exactly about that about a year ago, then, maybe, you will "believe" me!

Do YOU think, for ONE moment, that Dr. Marshall would EVER "risk" her CAREER as a Doctor if this were NOT true??!! Of course not!! Especially at Mass. General Hospital.....one of the MOST renowned hospitals in the entire WORLD.......nevermind Country!! Why WOULD'NT you believe that TRUE story?? If you do not know what the drug companies do by now, then you are completely out of the loop! The payoffs, gifts, trips, etc., that MANY Doctors receive from them......all in order to have the Doctors "push" their medications so they can make MILIIONS if not BILLIONS of dollars!!!

By the way........not ALL the Doctors know what they are talking about that you may happen to know!! This particular study, I believe, was actually in the NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, if I am not mistaken, also! So.........as I said, I was only trying to HELP PEOPLE so that they do NOT run the risk of getting CANCER from the medications!!! If that, to you, is "wrong" then I am sorry!! I am surprised that someone would "challenge" that, without chcking it out for themselves if they do not believe me!! I guess this is what you get sometimes when you ARE trying to help people so that nothing bad happens to them!

Sue P.S. Do you WORK for one of the drug companies??!!

CalGal37 responded:
An E-mail was sent to the news channel before I posted my reply. I also went through the TV channel's various links to their broadcast infomation before I posted. With a story that big, you would think that the information would be easy to find.

And no, I have no association with any drug company.

I share your indignation about what the drug companies do in pushing their products. I'm personally fed up with what I see on television minute-to-minute. But we, as the consumer, are also part of the problem. 'We' want a quick fix in most cases - pop a pill and feel better rather than making some common sense changes to see if they help.

If people didn't challenge other people very little would be accomplished in this world. We'd settle for the status quo and no advances would be made. It's what the Dr. Marshall may be doing - if that indeed is what the report states - in trying to get people to take note. However, that remains to be proven.

All of us, for the most part, come on to the boards to help and when you 'put yourself out there' you should also expect to be challenged. Just because a person tries to help doesn't always mean they're right.

sdfhsdfh23 responded:
I wont comment on validity, qualifications, statements...as those are other unrelated issues.

But the question of "Can PPI's cause cancer?" In rats, they can. A special kind of tumor though called a neuroendocrine carcinoma..specifically a gastrinoma. Not to bore you with details, but it is a "milder" form of a tumor than can spontaneously regress. These have been found in humans too, but so far has not been found to be statistically significant. This type of cancer I suspect is what Dr Marshall is talking about. Now, also, more importantly, the worse kind (adenocarcinoma) has not been statistically significantly found in humans or even in rats after prolonged PPI therapy. What has been known to cause gastric adenocarcinoma? Well, one culprit is a little bacteria of all things called Helicobacter Pylori, which loves to live in acid environments, causes gastritis and inflammation of the stomach. WIth enough irritation of the stomach, you eventually get genetically defective regrowth of your stomach lining cells, and then bam...cancer. You gotta get tested for H pylori and treated with antibiotics. So people on PPI actually may also have H Pylori infection and given enough time only treat their acid symptoms and not the true cause. So, that's one reason one may say people on PPI get cancer, simply because they not getting the right treatment. You gotta compare people not on PPI with those on PPI, follow both groups, and see how much more often you get ADENOcarcinoma. Again, this has not yet to be proven.

So, can PPI's cause cancer?...well technically yes, but it's not the really bad kind, if that's of any comfort to know. Good news is that statistically the risks are very low and benefits may outweigh the negatives in this issue. Else, if you don't treat the acid increase, you get continued inflammation and destruction of your stomach lining...blahblahblah...you can then develop the bad cancer, adenocarcinoma...and then that's a bad bad thing. bad.

sorry for long message. Just make sure with anything you find out, somtimes do your own homework. Don't take someone's word for it. Even a doctor's word, from MGH...especially from a liberal newscast which depends sometimes on sensationalism for ratings and fearmongering (ok sorry had to put in opinion about that). Anywho, for medical things, I encourage you to do primary research into matters. Start with PUBMED...it's where researchers and doctors go for real studies and information. It's daunting, but that's the real info. The devil is in the details. Don't depend on a few sentences said on a newscast that sums up years of research. That's like me telling you the book War and Peace is about some war with a little peace in their. You kinda miss alot of the important details. whoops, kinda long, hope someone reads this

Please see pubmed reference: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19006608?ordinalpos=6&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

You gotta go to a medical library or even a public library to get a full print out. Maybe your local doctor has access to full article copies of this journal.

Aqua14 responded:
sdfhsdfh23, this is an excellent post. I too like to consult valid medical sources to find out what the "real story" is rather than rely upon the media, which almost always oversimplifies and sometimes misinterprets the findings of clinical trials. My primary care physician had mentioned offhand that PPIs increase long-term risk of stomach cancer. . . but what you have posted is very informative.

Thanks for the clarification.

Judy

leo481958 responded:
I have my own concerns about the PPI's, which I came here to find out about.....but I read this and have to stand up for CalGAL and tell you she has nothing but honest and helpful answers. She is not the type of person to take your post lightly or dismiss you or insult it. I truly am amazed at her dedication to the site and the posters here.....and I personally believe she helps more people than any doctor I've ever known. And with no personal agenda, to boot! Plus, I don't think she was anything but polite to you. That is my 2 cents.

Vycette responded:
To Calgal: I agree that you can't believe every newscast you hear. However, I think your generalization that people suffering from GERD are too lazy to change their diets and would rather take a pill is ridiculous. You clearly do not suffer from GERD yourself if you believe this. At one time or another, EVERYTHING I eat has caused painful, nauseating acid reflux. It is so bad I frequently lose my voice.

I am not overweight. I do not drink coffee, soda, orange juice (or any other citrus juice for that matter). I have cut out tomatoes, spicy foods, chocolate, and numerous other known culprits of heartburn. In addition, whenever I ate something that gave me heartburn I tried to cut it out. Even bananas, which are supposed to be a natural antacid, give me heartburn. Ultimately I came to the realization that no amount of limitation, or careful food paring would help me. I would be forced to subsist on water. Personally, I hate the fact that my only option is to take a pill everyday. But it truly is my only option. If you consider my desire to be able to eat or drink like a normal person lazy then so be it.

moundcityboy replied to Vycette's response:
I just saw my GI guy recently and he took me off of my prilosec/nexium and prescribed Zantac so this might be something that we all want to take a look at. He said that there are some studies that point to the fact that a lot of Gerd might be related to allergies and that there was some evidence that these meds were responsible for my symptoms. I have had mild to medium ulcerative colitis for four decades and I know that when the my allergies get bad, so does my gut. I got the feeling that the only reason he would do this is that there has to be some sort of connection between either the meds having some bad side effects or they aren't working. Well, he never asked me if they were working or not. Just stopped them.

geeniebeanie08 replied to sdfhsdfh23's response:
I would like to reply to your comment. I am now taking PANTOPRAZOLE for my abdominal hernia and I am still unsure why my doctor is giving me this medicine. The doctor explained, but not in detailed, in which I feel. When my mother had acid reflux in year 2006, her doctor prescribed to her NEXUM. About a 2 months after that she could not swallow (not even water). She saw her (Ears, Nose and Throat) doctor but they could not find anything wrong. Until the third month when they transport her to UPMC Hospital in Pittsburgh and took them the second time around to diagnose her with Stomach Cancer. My question could it have been "NEXUM"

geeniebeanie08 replied to Vycette's response:
There are other options available, trying researching holistic medicine or healing. We do have other options in our life.

geeniebeanie08 replied to moundcityboy's response:
My mother was taking Nexium for only 2 months before she was diagnosis with cancer. They were saying it could not have been the nexium, but they were not sure. They said she had this cancer for 10 years. Right and I am Bill Gates.

svidco replied to sdfhsdfh23's response:
Thank you for your informative reply. I am just now reading this as I was diagnosed with Gerd from somewhat unusual symptons. (Swollen sinuses behind my nose and in my head) Although I don't have any acid reflux type symptoms and my stomach seems fine at all times. I was told that the flap at the bottom of my esophagus is probably loose (due to age) and it allows for normal stomach acid to creep up into my sinuses via capillary action. I was prescibed the generic form of Prilosec (2X day, 20mg 1/2 hour before eating). I mentioned this to a friend who immediatley told me that the medication causes stomach cancer. I am very conflicted. I am now taking a medication that I don't know if I really need (although I am getting relief from my symptoms) and it may cause stomach cancer. Your reply has calmed me down, but I am still looking for more information on Prilosec type drugs and stomach cancer. Please pass on any new data you might have on this topic.
Thank you again for your reply from 3 years ago!

taclev18 responded:
Are there any better antiacid medications one could take that have been tested and proven not to cause stomach cancer? If this was founded why is this stuff still on the market?

TC

Annababy responded:
How long would u have to take the meds before you get it. I'm really scared about the whole thing.

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website