Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Burning sensation in head
wannabehealthy1967 posted:
Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this? Mine started about a month ago when I was put on protonix for Gerd. I had a lot of side effects with protonix, and last week my doctor switched me to Zantac 150mgs 2x/day, to see if this would make a difference. I have tried to research this, and I can find very little information on "buccal (nerve) burning", which apparently, is common with Gerd. I seem to experience the burning sensation on the top right side of my head. It doesn't last long, and it also comes and goes. So far, it hasn't subsided any with this new medication. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

CalGal37 responded:
You mentioned the top, right side of your head together with the buccal nerve. But could you more specifically pin-point the location of the pain - using some landmarks? The buccal nerve doesn't really extend to the top of the head.

The other thing is have you either recently been sick or had some dental work done? Or had any head trauma, however slight?

wannabehealthy1967 responded:
Actually, I had a horrible flu with bad chills, and high fever before this started. No dental work done. At Christmas, I walked into a hanging chandelier type light at a relative's house. Hit the same side of my head as the burning. It just seems funny that this started right after I had my GI scope done, and was put on the meds. The burning is in the right side of my head, right where bangs would start, kind of above the temple area. Sometimes I feel it on the side of my head, extending into my face. I do have problems with anxiety, so it could be that. Whenever I have anything going wrong in my body, or don't feel right, anxiety takes over, and I feel all sorts of new symptoms.

CalGal37 responded:
The area you're talking about could be related to one branch of the trigeminal nerve and it 'radiates'across the forehead, while another branch goes across the cheek toward the nose.

It's possible that it could be related to nerve 'mis-firing.' It's very uncomfotable and can feel like being 'zapped' with electricity.

Anna04 responded:
You are not alone in this. I am goign through some bad anxiety right now. The burning sensation that you are getting is normal. My doctor told me that it is my adrenaline. Our adrenaline needs to get out some how, and we feel it through burning in our heads, chest, or even stomach. I have found that exercising at least 30 minutes a day has helped reduce my anxiety. We are going to get through this even if it takes time!

roechelle responded:
since having my beautiful daughter 10weeks ago i have been experiencing all sorts of wierd symptoms, my family is starting to think i am crazyi took myself to the ER 5 times already, i have been diagnosed with, GERD after experiencing heavy burning in my chest and back, i also have allergies that i never knew i had and is now trying to get over sinusitis and post nasal drip that has been living inside me for 8 long weeks now today i am starting to expirencing heaviness and a burning sensation in my head that is freaking me out, tell me whats wrong with me

sarahdenney responded:
Hello there Just joined the club and read you mail. This burning sensation in my head is starting to really bother me. Suffered from anxiety attacks for years but never had this before..? Any more advice would be great. Thanks

Have2Find_anAnswer responded:
Daughter is fighting the SAME burning head sensation! She was hit in the back of the head with a FULL FORCE basketball, in October 08 and has been dealing with a VARIETY of problems since, with no clear-cut answers! She is weak, bright lighting bothers her, she is dizzy and quick movement or even WALKING for any long period of time brings on nausea. No appetite, per say and chest pain w/ tingling in arms and hands!

• We have had chest X-rays, & a CT scan (without contrast) and everything seems OK, no bleeding, tumors, swelling. ER Dr. felt she MAY have an ulcer, and put her on PRILOSEC OTC. Family physician ordered blood-work, all fine WITH the exception of thyroid level being "off" very little, (HYPO-thyroid ism) so she is now on a daily regimen of 88mcg SYNTHROID. Takes 400-600mg of Ibuprofen daily for headaches, as Dr.'s believe she is ALSO suffering from "POST-CONCUSIVE SYNDROME" from the hit in October. Today is DECEMBER 29th, and she is not better...just the same!!!! Anyone have ANYTHING like this before?? I am PUSHING for an MRI...she is only 14 years old and has SUFFERED ENOUGH! ***When a child ASKS to be put in the hospital and "run every test until they get it fixed", we KNOW she is NOT feeling well at all! Don't know what else to do...as we seem to "Hurry-Up and WAIT" Any input would be appreciated!! Thank You~
  •  
    Carle1962 responded:
    To the man with the 14 yr old daughter who was hit in the back of the head and now has burning pain....she needs to have a MRI of the cervical spine. I have had the same symptoms in the past following head injuries - it is the neck which is vulnerable since it has to support a huge 10 lb. head. I ended up having neck surgery because I had a blown disc and the vertebrae above and below were rubbing against each other. I had burning pain on the top of my head, down the back of my neck and into the shoulders and arms. She may have some disc issues in her neck now. Good luck to you both.

live37 responded:
    I am suffering the same problem as yours with a difference that I have burning sensation all over the body mostly in the head. It some times feel like GERD and some times GAD or anxiety disorder. I am having this prob for the last four years. With in this 4 years I have gone to a dozens of doctors. Gastro, herpetologist, neurologist, psychiatrist, endocrinologist and GP without any solutions. Everybody says it is GAD. I agree with them burning aggravates with anxiety but where is the medicine? I am unable to take any medicine for anxiety except clonazepam 0.5mg at night before meal. It is a CNS depressant. It keeps me away from GERD and also help to have a little sleep overnight. Wonder medicine for anxiety like prozac and zoloft elevate my burning sensation immensely. Then how it is anxiety? If it is GERD then why medicine like zantac, protonix, omeprazol puts my stomach, esophagus and whole body in fire? I think it is anxiety with obsession for body. If you can shut down your anxiety it will go away. But it is vicious cycle. Difficult to come out but it is must.

yinni821 responded:
    First of all you are not crazy, I reserch so much and there is so many people going thru the same as us. I been thru many doctors with in the past 2 months. Apparently I have a bad case of Gerd and on top of that because of it I develop a bad case of anxiaty and depression. For what I have read is like a mixture of both. Lil by lil I'm learning that anxity and panic makes your body feel wird and makes your brain play tricks and wird feelings. Talk to your doctor and demand an endonoscopy to see how bad is your acid and take your medicine. Find what works for you. Eat your 3 meals at day. Also speack to the doctor about something mild for the anxiaty before it scaledes. Mines stared with anxiaty and panic, and now I got depress cause of the way I felt cause of the gerd. Tell your family that u need support, my husband is been great with me all cause I was not afraid to ask for help. I'm currently on zoloft and ambien to sleep. Don't give up and make sure your doctor listen to you, feel better, let me know how it goes

gerdzilla responded:
    Hello anna04, i just got this burning sensation on my head this am/ plus ringing in my ears; escalating my anxiety, as to what the heck is going on. As another post said, it culd be adrenaline wanting to escape out, the other day my whole body was burning, including my nose, allergies, or what i dont know; have been to several drs. again, no real definitive answers, glad we have this bd. to share and get infor. also found out recently have BE, just great for anxiety...

gerdzilla responded:
    hi anna04, yes i have just started experiencing this, burning on top of my head and ears,ugh. it is due to anxiety, i  am over loaded, plus found i have B.E., ringing in the ears, really makes you want to do some carthwheels, well, i leave it ot the Lord to make things better, but i am glad we have this bd. to share infor and for support, also dizzy spells. Sure wish they hadnt have put dr.Frankenstein out of business..

m_iniguez79 responded:
    Hello, ive been experiencing the burning sensation for 2 weeks now and its scary. Now i have the bad thoughts in my head "is it a brain tumor?" but i try not to think about it, i feel more tense from my head at night and i cant sleep and i start worring. I have 2 toddler babies and they have so much energy and that fustrates me... i went to the doctors and he laughs and my thoughts and gave me the generic for xanax and after i ran out he gave me generic for paxil that has made me worse it does not help and i feel like theres no hope for me..help i want advise i want to be normal...

bennjamin responded:
    Hello,

13 years ago was in a motorcycle accident with major whiplash. I felt a little weird that night but three days later I was laid up with excruciating pain( blurred vision, burning in head,dizziness, weakness, slow thoughts) MRI was normal CT was normal. It took about one year to start to get my life back. It felt good to go back to work even though symptoms were still very pronounced. I wasn't sure if I had brain damage or neck damage it was very frustrating. Year after year things picked up with no aid of medication.( for some reason I just refused to take medication I would rather deal with pain than have other things messing with me) The last 8 years I was living a very manageable life about at 85 to 95%. Although something in my upper cervical area was definitely hurt doctors still have not discovered what it is. I have learned to walk light and to not hit pot holes I have not run for years. Doing any of these things would totally shut me down, the burn would come back the blurry vision would come back etc... I started riding a bike it was the best decision I have ever made. It was like my brain was getting oxygen for the first time. I strengthened my neck and all the symptoms seemed to fade away. The harder i would exert myself the more benefit it would bring. I was in great shape and kicking but. Two months ago I was hit on top of the head the pain was stabbing in my upper neck the symptoms rushed back. This is very hard thing to have happen. Can this go away twice in my life can I get myself out of bed.( I went from racing 100 mile bike races to being exhausted tying my shoes) I would like to know if any one has gone through injury twice and what to do the second time.

Helpful Tips

abodmenal pain
    from last 2 weeks i suffering from abodmenal is pain very badly .and my toilet also not good.always i have to go toilet .per 3,4 times i ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website