Bravo test?
JinMN79 posted:
Has anyone had this test done recently? I had an endoscopy earlier this week to check for Eosinophilic Esophagitis (which came back negative) and my Gastro is recommending that I come back in for the 48-hour bravo acid test. From what I understand, they are telling me that I do not need to be sedated for this. I would love to hear any information if you have had this done!

CalGal37 responded:
Jin, you may want to chat with Carl in the post just below you. He evidently just did a Bravo test.

CalGal37 responded:
Jin, please try to ignore the post that downplays (or downright trashes) the BRAVO test. We do not know who this individual is, nor what he's up to. And if he really has any information of value, he's unwilling to give specifics or discuss the issue. It's very hard to take someone like that seriously. I've asked repeated for some specifics on what this person claims, and all I get is the same old story - with no information. Talk to people who have actually had the BRAVO test done. Also ask your doc what the pro's and con's are. Any test will have a downside - that's a given. But please don't let some person (whom at this point I consider as touting unsubstantiated claptrap) scare you off of the test. From all the current literature and the people I know who have had the test done, it's not a rough test at all and can give you an idea of what might be going on in your system.

Sue1420 responded:
Jin, I had the Bravo test in September 2007 and I was sedated and I did not have any complications from it. And I would not hesitiate to do the test again if needed - it was not that bad. I am sure that you need to be sedated because they need to attach the Bravo capsule to your esophaghus and I don't think that can be done without sedation. I also had an upper endoscopy done at the same time. I had to do a liquid diet the day before and I had to be off my Nexium for 2 weeks prior to the test and during the test. They also recommend that you eat your "trigger foods" that cause you to have indigestions and heartburn etc. Anyway while the Bravo capsule is in and you are in the test mode you wear a monitor and you need to keep a journal recording the times you eat and pressing the buttons on the transmitter everytime you burp/regurgitate, have chest pain or heartburn etc. I did feel the "capsule" - definitely when swallowing while eating or drinking water and sometimes just whenever. It was an interesting 48 hours to say the least and much easier than the 24hour probe experience I had 2 years prior. I stayed at home on Wednesday because that was the day of the scope and sedation but I went to work on Thursday and Friday withouf a probelm and did not feel awkward wearing the monitor but then again i work in a small office and my co-workers are all very understanding. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck! P.S. The capsule passes throuh your system in about a week

latlanta1963 responded:
I had the test done two years ago - no sedation. They spayed some anasthetic down my throat. If you gag easily, you may need sedation. It took them 2x, as the first attempt, the probe would not latch on, so that was not fun. What can I say, having a probe stuck down your thoat is not a pleasant experience. For me at least, the probe was somewhat painful for several days. I've had worse experiences.

Iriswoz responded:
I had the bravo test done about 2 months ago and it was really very easy to deal with just a little discomfort when swallowing. But worth having to see that I was not joking with the Doctors about how my stomach was feeling and how terrible the coughing was. I am having Nissen surgery on March 23. Hooray! Please wish me luck. Can anyone tell me about what they ate for the first 2 weeks and the second 2 weeks after surgery? Would be very Thankful for any Advise.

nanahez responded:
Hi Jin or anyone else wanted information on this test, I had this test last November and they did it with me off my medicines. This last week I just had it again on my medicines. They do sedate you, but not put you "out" like they would with surgery. They can talk to you and you can answer back. It is a bit tough as you are groggy, but you can. So that part is not scarey at all. The test itself is really pretty easy. It is somewhat a pain to carry around the monitor and having to keep the "diary" of everything, but you just have to tell yourself that the results are worth it. As far as pain or anything else, the first time I had it I had some discomfort in my throat, but nothing serious, just kinda like a sore throat with a cold. This time I didn't even notice that it was there. So if your doctor is recommending that you take the test, I would also recommend it. Truly there is nothing to fear. Good Luck to you. nanahez

LMGanders responded:
I had the test done non sedated, it took a whole 3 minutes for the Doctor to locates a position and place the scope. There was a numbing agent used on my throat and there was "some" discomfort but as long as you concentrate on your breathing you will be fine. I also experience major coughing(like a smokers cough and I don't smoke) and a horrible taste in my mouith that makes me gag with Holitosis(severe)so I am hoping this test will show whatever is wrong.

geoffb480 responded:
I had it done done on 09/04/09. This was the worst experience ever. This capsule has been driving me crazy for 4 days now. It feels like something jagged is lodged in my throat. I'm only 26 years old and in great shape except for my acid reflux. I would not recommend this procedure to anyone. I would not go through this again for $10,000.00. Every time I swallow it is very painful and uncomfortable. I went to the ER on day 2 and they told me I just had to wait for this thing to fall off. I did some research and found that they use suction to put it on and the stick a pin through it. I am extremely uncomfortable and do not know if I will even be able to go to work this week. :crying: