Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Sciatic pain from constipation?
MagPrincess posted:
Does anyone have constipation that causes sciatic nerve pain? I get this and was just wondering if anyone else does. I can get it right after making a BM or sometimes i will feel everything move and then it hits. Just curious.

CalGal37 responded:
Mag, are you sitting on the toilet for long periods of time? If so, depending on your toilet seat, you could be impacting the sciatic nerve at the back of the leg and it may be responding with pain.

Or, on the off-chance that it's your piriformis muscle causing you problems, you might want to look up some exercises for stretching the piriformis which can have a big impact on the sciatic nerve if it's too tight. If you do some stretching of that muscle it may make that nerve a bit more comfortable.

TrudyGERD responded:
I used to get a pain that I called sciatic nerve pain (no, a doctor didn't call it that but my mother has dealt with it for years and it was identical). I had the feeling of a bolt of electricity constantly running down my leg from my lower back along with intermittent numbness depending on how bad the pain was. Boy was I shocked when it went away as my health improved due to my diet changes. Turned out it was actually a neuropathy associated with my GI issues. I don't know if it was a direct symptom from the intollerances or a neuropathy caused by the vitamin deficiencies or a combination of both. I do know that it's one of the many symptoms that temporarily returns when I get hit with gluten so I doubt it's entirely the B12 deficiency.

MagPrincess responded:
Cal,

I do not sit for long period of time on the toliet. I do alot of stretching for yoga. I have also noticed that when i cross my legs , i can cross my right leg over my left fully without any discomfort but when i try this with my left leg over my right it hurts and it won't stay by itself. this does get better after alot of floor exersizes with yoga but it does not last.

This morning i passed gass and immediately afterward my sciatic nerve started to hurt. Along with the pain along my pelvic bones on both sides.

Trudy,

At last blood test check all my vitamin levels were fine and my celiac test was still comming up negative. This was in may. I also don't get any numbness just sciatic pain.

I plan on bringing this up at my doctors appt on 8-31 as well.

rebeccaps replied to MagPrincess's response:
I, also, have same symptoms. My sciatic pain flares when I become even mildly constipated. I have been diagnose wtih sciatica. After two different pelvic xrays, a rheumatologist told me the issue was strictly soft tissue and not associated with discs or hip joint. I associated my sciatic pain with straining and not sitting. I do notice as the constipation is over discomfort eases.

But on researching Piriformis muscle syndrome with its associates problems, this would explain some of my problems and other symptoms.

survivour responded:
MagPrincess, I just got told today by my doctor due to the symptons I am getting since last night that I have 'sciatica constipation'. I'd never heard of it before and so she prescribed me medication to help with my backpain and stuff to get my bowels moving. Will see how I progress tomorrow. So to answer your question: yes I do, maybe we are twins haha. Hope you get better soon. If there is anyone out there that could help with this condition or if there are other alternatives to help, please let MagPrincess and I know. Thanks..oh and have a very Merry 2012 Christmas everybody xo

murphydog45 responded:
I get the same thing especially when I take Codine the dr gave me for sciatica it's a vicious circle so not taking codeine again it doesn't get rid of pain I have a high fibre diet but if I lapse through being away and not eating properly I find soaking flax seed overnight and the put it on my porridge and taking 2 probiotics at night seems to cure it good luck

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website