Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
My opinion of IBS and misdiagnosis
protekme posted:
In 1997 my husband and I came back from a trip to Guatemala with mild stomach problems (alternating diarrhea and constipation). I consulted (not my husband because he felt better after one week). My doctor made all the tests (feces as well). He did not find anything wrong with me so it was assumed that I had IBS. I was told that I would have to live with it?nothing could be done as I already had a very good diet.

After a while my stomach problem went away by itself, and I believed I was miraculously healed. BUT, slowly, all kinds of other symptoms started to creep up (see below) AND STAYED WITH US NINE YEARS until a doctor in Mexico found out the cause of those problems?PARASITES.

Husband: ? Swollen lips (no test could determine the cause) ? Repeated ear infections ? Bloating and gas ? Joint pains (said to be arthritis) ? Myself: ? Itchy skin (treated two years for urticaria with no result) ? Continuous bone pains (believed to be fibromyalgia) ? A constant strange feeling in my guts but normal feces ? Episodes of terrible low back pain (x-rays saw nothing wrong)

? We both suffered from insomnia.

Parasites such as Entamoeba histolytica and Blastocystis hominis are often asymptomatic or responsible for prolonged and heavy infections with gastrointestinal complaints. Such infections are often not detected by routine diagnostic procedures, and special concentration and staining methods are needed. A Mexican doctor knew all about that method (her husband being a lab technician helped) and found that we both had cysts of Entamoeba histolytica, which meant that those parasites were in us a long time.

We were treated with metronidazol and diodoquin (other name quinolenol) and, after 10 days, ALL the above listed problems started to disappear and never returned.

YOU CAN DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSION.

Cadylady responded:
Hi- I see that this is a very old post. I was wondering if your e histolytica has still been resolved? Did all of your symptoms go away or did they linger for a while. I have never heard of this treatment. I am in touch with a lot of people on another forum that are not well. Hoping that you get this message. It seems that no doctors here can diagnose. You were very lucky to have found that doctor.
thank you,
Jenn

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website