Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Help for Constipation
lilycat98 posted:
Because of my IBS, I've had constipation off and on now for a few months. I have been using Milk of Magnesia, but got worried that my bowel would become dependent on it. So for the past three days I had no BM at all. I called the advice nurse at my clinic and she said to drink 8 ounces of prune juice, but it needs to be hot, like the temperature of hot coffee, and you must drink it pretty quickly so that it's still warm in your gut. Anyway, after drinking that I was running to the bathroom within half an hour. I hope it keeps working that well when I need it, it really did work this time. Has anybody else tried that?

renesmith responded:
Lilycat, yes - that is the remedy I use. I generally use this method about once or twice a week. I follow the heated prune juice (probably for me more like 5 or 6 ozs.) with my coffee. And it almost always works, especially if I really need to go. I have never been one to "go" every day - usually I am an every other day and sometimes 2 or 3 days between movements. But my mom has usedthe prune juice method for years and years. HOWEVER, watch the milk of magnesia. It is a laxative and can be a problem with a lot of use. Mom's doctor told her to feel free to use a stool softener every night - they are different from laxatives. Good luck.

star160413 responded:
i havent tried it myself, but at the dr office i work at, we suggest what we call "the bomb" which is equal parts (shot glass of each) prune juice and milk of magnesia, warmed up. works every time.

Stepanenko responded:
Yep...prune juice was a dream find and works everytime. I think once or twice it didnt but i get very blocked up. Anyway, i always drink it cold and it helps just great. never heard of drinking it hot...that must taste awful. Try it cold....i bet its better and works just the same. Good luck -Sharon

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website