Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Constant rectal pressure/incomplete
WeEn897 posted:
I know the previous post covered incomplete evacuation but i am confused by some of your symptoms, i have the constant rectal pressure of having the urge to poop / the feeling of incomplete evacuation. ever since i took a poop 7 days ago this feeling has not left me, i do not know what to do, the colonoscopy did not show any thing abnormal except for a polyp and internal hemmorhoids that he said everybody has, i do not know what to to do its a very annoying feeling, my symptoms have been going on 4 weeks now after a bout of food poisoning or gastroenteritis, i have diarrhea/ loose stools but only like twice a day at most, and abdominal discomfort, i am 19 year old male and just wondering whats going on, what can i do to get rid of this? please help i am so worried that this wont go away for the rest of my life
FirstPrevious12NextLast

loumorton responded:
I am new to this board today and have the same discomfort you are describing. The medication Hyomax which I believe is basically the same as Hyoscine helps me some, but I take twice the dose prescribed. This is a common symptom of IBS and the constant discomfort is definitely annoying. I will go back and see what the previous post says, but I sympathize with you. When I get my constipation under control that feeling goes away for me. But that is the tricky part since my constipation goes right into explosive diarrhea after a few weeks of what is a kind of remission for me. I am in the process of trying to get myself back into a reasonable situation that is more comfortable but not having much luck. Hold on. . .try to get your BMs under control and it may help you out.

WeEn897 responded:
Hey i am glad to find another person out there with the same symptom as me, how long have you had this discomfort, does it go away periodically or what? i have loose stools so even though i am pooping several times a day i still get this feeling which is weird cuz its more common with constipation, i increased my fiber and water intake, i am trying to get a solid stool taking an anti diarrhea, and anti spasmadics but i still cant shake this feeling i am kinda worried its gonna last an unreasonably long time. what does hyoscine do? is it a laxative?

CalGal37 responded:
WeEn, a lot of people may have hemorrhoids, but not everyone has internal hemorrhoids. The presence of internal hemorrhoids can produce the feeling of constant rectal pressure, so you may want to discuss it further with your doctor.

The feeling on incomplete evacuation can also be just a feeling and not a real situation. In some people the signaling mechanism in the rectum can go slightly askew and result that sensation but no one seems to know why it occurs.

Were you treated for the food poinsoning or whatever it was that you had? Were you on any form of antibiotics? Have you considered trying some probiotics to try to return your current bowel habits around a bit?

WeEn897 responded:
No i was not treated for anything because they did not know what initially caused it and anti biotics would not have helped, i started probiotics yesterday, ya i dont think its actually incomplete evacuation its just a constant pressure in my rectum, like the sensation i need to poop, even if it was the hemmorhoids is there anything to help those? the feeling i get is that all i can do is increase fiber, take probiotics and anti spasmadics, take hot bats and wait it out. i just want to hear somebody that has experienced this before and it has gone away, i am so worried it will never go away im only 19

CalGal37 responded:
If the feeling is due to the internal hemorrhoids, the only way the sensation will go away will be to take care of the hemorrhoids. Internal hemorrhoids - unlike the external variety - do not typcally disappear by themselves.

JH2010 responded:
I've had this problem for the past 2 years, since I was 20. I've tested negative for colon cancer, Chron's colities, parasites, allergies, etc. I constantly feel like I need to go, go 6-8 times a day (always in small amounts with straining), and often smell like crap. I'm also straight, clean, and otherwise healthy. Eating healthy, taking daily fiber/probiotic, exercising, and taking medication have not helped at all. I'm sick every day. This problem has gotten so bad that I'm considering having the lower part of my colon removed (colonostomy). I think the problem is that my rectum is usually half-full (when it should normally be empty until right before a bowel movement). This produces the discomfort and smell. I also have a muscular problem emptying my rectum. So removing the lower half of the colon should solve what seems to be a structural problem. It's the only chance I have to live a normal life. You may want to look into it. Good luck.

TrevorTrevor replied to JH2010's response:
JH, that sounds very much like what I have had for several years now. I am going to talk to a doctor, but I want to avoid surgery at all costs.

tomrrw responded:
Hi. this post is about 2 years old now, although I have just come across it, and I believe I have the same thing - What started from food poisoning/stomach bug, now have feeling of incomplete bowel movements, and some discomfort after bowel movements. As well as the constant pressure/feeling like I mildly need to go to the bathroom

Have had colonoscopy and all that it shower were internal hemorrhoids. no inflammation or anything else.

I am at a loss.

Has anyone found any progress or relief from this illness?

Would really really love to hear back, as this is the most relatable post I have found about this.

Thanks!

gardeninglife responded:
This seems to be more common of a problem then I would have ever thought. I also have this problem. The pressure decreases if i push my rectum back up inside, although it doesnt stay. I believe it is rectal prolapse, where the muscles in the rectum have been damaged. There is info on webmd about this. It wont kill you, so quit worrying. Mine was caused by 2 hemmoroid surgeries. there are more nerves in your rectum then any other part of your body except your feet. You can try to make it stronger by constricting your rectum and holding for 15 seconds then releasing for like 30 times twice a day, It may improve the muscles in the rectum. I am no dr. but do your own research, information is your best weapon but do not do anything recommended that sounds strange. Go to the doctor and keep going until you get answers someone will eventually find out what is exactly wrong with you, but you must push for it.

JH2010 replied to tomrrw's response:
Hi tomrrw,

I wrote the original post 2 years ago. About a month after posting I met with a surgeon, and she refused to even consider operating. They will only operate for known conditions like Chrohn's or ulcerative colitis, not for unexplained muscle problems. There's too much risk of lawsuit if the operation goes badly and the patient ends up with a bag.

This condition hasn't changed. I'm still as sick as I was. I still feel small pieces of waste constantly dropping down into my rectum, and have to go to the bathroom 6x/day on average. Even when I can't go I know there's something there. I had an annorectal manometry to test how well I could defecate, and my results were actually fairly close to normal. I don't have a problem defecating, I just have a rectum that doesn't hold waste until it gets to normal size for easy defecation.

I haven't found much relief. I eat healthy, which at least reduces gas and makes stool smell less bad. I also eat Fiber1 cereal for breakfast, so I can at least get most of it out throughout the morning and not at night after dinner. Other than that not much has helped.

How are you doing with your condition? Have you found any new info? I'd like to hear back from you.

Thanks,

John

JH2010 replied to gardeninglife's response:
It does sound like you have a prolapse. Do you also have issues where you have small BMs several times a day?

I've tried Kegels and they haven't helped me. Have you had any luck with them?

Thanks,
John

JH2010 replied to TrevorTrevor's response:
Trevor,

This is an old post but did you find a way to get any better?

Thanks,
John

tirefire replied to JH2010's response:
I can relate. A GE took a look up there, found nothing (a couple of very small items) and internal hemorrhoid, but this is pretty unbearable. he recommended kolex and baths. I can't even go to work.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website