Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Maltitol (artificial sweetner)
cleandatup posted:
Last Friday I went to get some milk for my family. I passed through the candy isle to check out. Normally I don't even think about candy but I seen sugar free root beer candies on sale. I am diabetic as well as having crohns and uc. I bought some. I ate a total of 3. 1 on Friday evening and 2 during the day Saturday while helping move mil. Saturday I noticed I was extremely gassy. and starting to have pain later in the day. Sunday I was in pretty severe pain and all the other symptoms of a flare showed. Monday I was in such pain that I had to take medications regularly. I'm still in pain, still having issues. Really don't feel well. Anyway, hubby comes home from work yesterday and wants me to read an article about artificial sweeteners and side effects they can have. I looked at the package the candy came in and Maltitol syrup is listed as the sweetener. I looked up possible side effects: Maltitol can Cause Intestinal Discomfort Usually this takes the form of intestinal gas and cramping, but some people may find themselves with diarrhea. If you decide to eat products with maltitol, you?d be wise to start with a small amount and judge the reaction -- as well whether you?ll be in a crowded room a few hours later. I know I did not consume a large amount but with the crohns and uc, I guess any amount is too much.

corey349 responded:
So I'm not the only one this happened to. I was told by my dentist that i need to start eating sugar-free hard candy because my mouth has been dry . I do not eat any kind of sugar free products. I used too but stopped around 5 years ago. I do not have diabetes but i felt that it was bad for you. Well last week I start to eat the sugar free candy on Friday and Sat . I was having the strangest gas pains I thought it was the gluten-free diet I started. Thank you.

cleandatup responded:
corey349, I'm sorry you go through the same thing too. I wonder if this is just a regular flare I am going through that seems intensified by the initial effects of the chemical I subjected my body to. I am still having extreme pain, (bad enough at times that it feels as though it is knocking the air out of me), body is extremely achy, extreme fatigue. I truthfully would love to curl up in a ball under a nice warm blanket, take some meds for pain and sleep until this all goes away. Instead, I am at work, dealing. Being quite uncomfortable. Managing on as little medication as possible. I haven't taken anything today for pain and I am sitting here feeling as though I have a knife tightly twisting all my intestines from my rib cage down. Fighting taking a nap during my lunch hour because I know I would just be more tired after. Wanting my joints to relax, chill out, quit hurting. Yeah, I know we all go though this. I'm just venting. As my son jokingly tells me I need to "suck it up princess". lol

corey349 responded:
Hi, I too am still feeling that way and like you i have working and also fighting to not sleep on my break.I feel like i'm starting to flare.

AzJohnny responded:
I learned that lesson several years ago, before I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I got severe diarrhea for several days from a few pieces of candy. I would definitely recommend that all peeps with IBD or IBS avoid maltitol like it was poison. I'm not sure it isn't poison for us.

cleandatup responded:
AzJohnny, I guess I was just a little surprised at the effects this had on me. I have used splenda and no side effects at all. Of course I don't use a whole lot of that either by substantually more than the maltitol that was consumed.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 60 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website