Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Got my diagnosis
mattdamonishot posted:
it is definitely UC. i was put on Asacol and have to take 12 pills per day!! Wow!! I couldn't believe how many I ahve to take!!! Any advice on thsi med???Has it worked for you??

arbob2 responded:
12 a day is a lot, but I'm sure your doctor will lower the dose eventually. I'm on Lialda, which is also mesalamine. It has helped me some, more when I first started on it a year ago, I take 4 a day, but now it seems like I'm almost immune to it. I wonder if this is possible. Anyone out there have any ideas about this? I saw my GI last week and he wants to try me in mesalamine drug, which is a time release capsule. I can't remember the name but it starts with an "A" not Asacol. At any rate, my insurance doesn't cover it. So, for a 90 days supply, it would cost me almost a grand. I can't afford that because we're retired and on a fixed income. lialda is also expensive, but I get samples from the doctor and that helps tremendously. Whether I will get samples of this other drug is beyond me. That's about the only way I'll be able to use it. We'll see.

I've had diarrhea for almost 2 years, with a brief remission here and there, but that's because of high dose prednisone. I started at 40 mg. and then slowly tapered it. When I get down to 10 mg. I get a big time flare. So it's upped again and then gradually lowered again and again and again. Luckily I don't have the side effects from prednisone that so many have. That is, other than the bruising. I barely have to bump my arm, and I mean BARELY, and bingo, a bruise.

Hopefully, for your sake, the Asacol will help you. Let us know how you're doing, ok?

LATH_Aches responded:
I take a time released mesalamine drug and it is called Apriso. I can't tell if they are doing me any good because I've never had any digestive tract symptoms. I just have these darn body aches that are difficult to compare over time.

misskirk responded:
I'm 21 F. diagnosed with UC 8/09 after two moderate flare ups.. was on cripo/ flagal and sulfasalazine .... all 3 pills 3 times daily.. then that switched to asacol 9 pills a day.. helped out withe bathroom trips almost too much, to where I'd go 2 days without one.. so went down to 6 pills a day, then had a mild flare and now back to 9 pills a day. my GI has me on a high fiber diet... Overall I like the Asacol, but hasn't done much for my body & joint aches. Been on it for almost 8 months and have gained 35lbs.. not sure if its directly linked, but has been a major concern for me!! How is it doing for you? is it working??? i hope so!!

navi_1101 responded:
my uncle is a GI and he said that its because peoples?body's become immune to the med over time so they keep?upping the dose till it stops working thin they will move you to a new drug with a lower dose. If they put you on 12 pills a day then I will bet they will not even be?prescribing it in a few months from now.
when i was diagnosed with UC back 06 the med they prescribed wanted me to take 9 pills a day, now its not even on the list of?medications?used by people with UC. ?????

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website