Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Lower Back Pain and IBS
DannyRay1972 posted:
I'm currently going through what I think is a severe IBS attack. Any way you look at it things have changed and I am experiencing odd sensations etc. Here is my story:

I have learned to live my life around the fairly constant list of symptoms below. Any of these symptoms seem to become amplified in periods of stress, especially frequency of needing to go to the bathroom.

Sometimes I can get relief and additional gas released if I crouch down in a fetal position with my hips higher than my shoulders.

But on a regular basis I have:

Stomach cramping Bloating Nausia Excess gas Irregular bowel movements Acid reflux

Latest attack:

12/5 ? Sushi dinner (who knows, maybe a parasite triggered this?

12/10 - Sense of urgency & unease (nervousness) radiating from rectum, down legs. Almost a fear/fight or flight sensation

12/11-12 - Gas, loose stool, ribbon like stool, pebble like stool, normal stool

12/13 - Dull lower back pain

12/14 - Subsided for 48 hours then returned

12/16 - Ate lunch and within 4 hours had horrible nausia, acid reflux and almost vomited (could have been unrelated food poisoning)

12/17 - Visited doctor ? Went on bland diet, stopped drinking coffee (3 ? 4 cups a day), started Prilosec, and also was prescribed hyoscyamine

12/18 ? 19 - Still going to the gym and running

12/20 - Constipation with normal bowel movement relief eventually

12/21 - Rectum pain, almost like internal hemmoriods

12/22 - Lower back pain, moving from general dull, to specific lower right or upper left pinpoint pain. Pain is sometimes worse sitting or lying down.

12/23 - Loose stool, ribbony and normal along with gas. Low back pain, along with shooting perennial pain and rectum pain and itching. Sometimes pain will shoot down legs.

And of course it is the holidays and I can't see a GI doc until early Jan..... Years ago I used to be a serious hypochondriac, so much so my dr at the time sent me to a therapist.... one meeting and I was cured of that for almost 10 years.... until now

I feel like fears of cancer, dread etc are all seeping into this experience.

I just need a place to discuss this, to talk to others and I need to know if anyone else suffers from IBS related lower back pain, where you can almost feel food going through the colon. The pain is dull at times, and specific at others.

Anyone else experience what I describe above? Need to know I am not alone...

bookworm52 responded:
It is hard to deal with the constant changes in your body's responses. Especially, when you are never sure what will trigger the next attack.

It took me almost two years to find out the low back pain making my life miserable was from the IBS I was suffering from.

My doctor has prescribed me an antispasmodic to help control the fluttery, butterfly/spider fingers in my stomach, legs, etc. He also suggested adding more fiber such as Metimucil, and there are a lot of other types of fiber stuff you can add that might help. Just a little bit at a time, though. Too much can cause a reocurrance of all the stuff you thought you just got over.

Sometimes the pain is so sharp you just want to scream. Other times, just a dull nagging ache you wish would go away and bug your neighbors dog. Then there are the times you have to on your feet and feel like all your insides are just going to fall out.

I hope your doctor can help you find some relief when you see her/him. It does help to watch what you are eating. Diffently cutting down on the caffeine/cola might help. I have noticed a difference.

I hope this helps.

DannyRay1972 responded:
Thanks so much for the feedback. My symptoms seem wide ranging and fairly sudden. My whole system seems to be going a bit crazy right now. One minute it feels like some blockage, then all of a sudden I have a bowel movement. Hope to fin out what is going on and treat it.

cherryfingers responded:
Yes, I hope that telling you that I had really bad back pain with my IBS that still comes and goes makes you feel better lol. I'm still learning how to deal with my IBS as I've only had it for around 4 months now. The stress of being away from my family while studying abroad brought my IBS on. I really wish someone would tell me that it would actually go away after a while But hey, you got to look at the bright side of things, there's meds for all our symptoms

I had a barium swallow test done a week ago, that suggested that I had acid reflux, mild thickening of the stomach lining and IBS.

I had a blood test done today, I was supposed to get my results an hour later but still haven't heard from the hospital and I'm getting an ultrasound done tomorrow, urine and stool culture.

Hope you're feeling better!!

Helpful Tips

abodmenal pain
from last 2 weeks i suffering from abodmenal is pain very badly .and my toilet also not good.always i have to go toilet .per 3,4 times i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website