Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
irritable bowel syndrome
maddiewho posted:
does anyone have symptoms so bad they are afraid to leave the house, or affecting their job?

CalGal37 responded:
A lot of people know that experience intimately. You're not alone with what you're going through.

Lindy0223 responded:
Yes! I will not go out to eat, a movie, or anything else. so afraid of an immediate urgency. I understand.

Stepanenko responded:
Hi Maddie....my name is sharon..Im new.

I have symptoms so bad i dont hardly ever leave the house....everytime I try it knocks me back down. I feel your pain and know what you are going through. I havent had a job in 2 years, i miss to much work.

This is really bad...i just want to feel better for one day.

JadedGemini13 responded:
I was diagnosed with IBS back when I was in High School, that was in the early 2000's. The fact that I also suffer from excessive paranoia does not help this, as it causes much un-needed stress. Everything is magnified, and it just causes so much stress, which triggers the IBS. What I find works is when I'm having a bowel movement, I open the window get some fresh air, and run my hands under VERY warm water, and the feeling usually subsides after a little while of that.

BLT66 responded:
Hi Maddie My name is Tina I have lived with IBS for 27 yrs. It controls my life. My day depends on how severe my IBS is. You name I have tried it and have been tested for everything. I no longer work it is to hard and I am to exhausted. I do not leave the house unless I have to and I will not eat anything that day. If I do go out do shopping my family knows we shop first then if I eat I know I am done . I live in the country so everything is a half hour or more so it does make it very difficult. But I do have wonderful friends and family and so I try to do things at my home so I have some fun. I use to be very active and outdoors all the time. I also never wanted anyone to know either. But now most know especially if they have spent anytime with me . We even joke I tell them I can tell them where the best rest stops are . I hope this helps and you are not alone either.

AmandaVigs responded:
I'm 26 and I have been unable to keep jobs for more than a few months at a time because employers do not understand the restrictions that IBS places on a person. Anyone who has ever suffered the pain and embarrassment of IBS knows that it's not all in the head. There should be more understanding on this disease, and more understanding for the people who suffer.

hruud responded:
Maddie I am not afraid to leave my house, but whenever I have to go somewhere (especially with my husband) I can't make it 10 minutes in the car. It is the worst when I have to go somewhere where I know there are no bathrooms. My heart starts to race, I start sweating, and I'm a wreck. What can we do?

1stpollywaddle responded:
I have been trying to log in for HOURS, yes i have IBS so bad i cannot leave the house, i have IT SO BAD THAT THE SWELLING KEEPS ME FROM PUTTING ON CLOTHES, It is so bad right now that I think my ribs are going to break from the pressure, It's like this every day almost

kobee21 responded:
I am new to this website (my first time) I am in the middle of testing for IBS. I had a colonoscopy and nothing so I'm sure I have IBS. Mine comes at different times unexpectedly. Also, mine is constipation and SEVERE pain when it begines out of the blue. I have had three attacks in the past week. I am taking LIBRAX before each meal, but doesn't seem to help. I go back to the doctor in about a week for consultation. I really think mine is anxiety. Seems to flare up when I am stressed, I guess?? I really don't know but I am so annoyed. Last night we had dinner guests and it hit my as I was serving dinner. When I get an attack I am in the bathroom anywhere 2-4 hours in the worst pain imaginable. I grown and bear down like I am delivering a baby. Does anyone have that symptom? Also, I have these pills I put under my tongue when the pain starts, but they don't help anymore. I found a muscle relaxer in my medicine cabinet and took that also last night. It seemed to help because the symptom only lasted about 11/2 hours. It's so depressing. Looking forward for your response.

CalGal37 responded:
Maddie, when my IBS-D was extremely active, I had exactly those symptoms plus a whole batch of others. It was a struggle to get through every day. So you're not alone in what you're going through. Millions of people face the same thing.

gc02ef responded:
kobee21 - I too have terrible pain, but with diarrhea. The pain goes away after usually 3 bad bowel movements. I agree, the pain is bad. I describe it as someone stabbing me with a machettee knife and ripping all my insides around, and setting it on fire. My worst episodes come on after eating dairy, but I do also have sensitivity to nerves and stress, and if I hold off on a bowel movement. Sometimes I feel if I can go through this pain, I could probably do labor easy!

kobee21 responded:
gc02ef - thanks for your reply. My episodes last for hours and I can't leave the bathroom just because I have horrible pressure like baring down. I think from what I've read, I need an antidepressant for stress and anxiety. I am 61 oh it's great to get old, HA HA!!

gc02ef responded:
I have heard of an over the counter herbal liquid formula called Iberogast. It is supposed to be really good for IBS sufferers. It does not cure it, but should help with pain, and to help calm the stomach. I have just ordered a bottle at my pharmacy. I will let everyone know how it works. I'm in Canada, but I'm not sure how available it is in the US. You could order it off the official on-line site. It is the #1 thing in Europe or somewhere for 40 yrs.

mindyrobin responded:
Hi Maddiewho! I know how you feel. I am having problems with my IBS too but here are some things that do help me. First I bought Acacia Fiber by Heathers Tummy Fibers. You can get it at your local health food store or on her website which is www.helpforibs.com. It takes 2 to 4 weeks to really kick in but I literally have not had diaherra in a few months. You should also buy her books that tell you what the triggers are and how to cook for IBS. I also take acidophilus with bifidus as it supports intestinal health. My biggest problem now is the constant gas and bloating. I wonder when some people say they have cramping, if they mean gas pain or some sort of organ cramping. Mine is purely gas that doesn't want to come out. Here is something weird but it works. I have a back massager that I push on my stomach when I am having gas pains and it helps me to pass the gas. This is a life saver for me as it can relieve the pain almost instantly. I don't leave home without it. I also today just ordered the hypnotherapy program for IBS from the website above. I am a little skeptical but am willing to try anything. Hope this helps.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website