Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Hepatitis and liver disease
THE AMERICAN GASTROENTEROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
Melissa Palmer, MD posted:
Welcome! My name is Dr. Melissa Palmer and I would like to welcome everyone to the hepatitis and liver disease health exchange. Feel free to post a question or start a discussion. Of course, it is always best to check with your own personal doctor for answers, but I would be happy to help.

brettg4193 responded:
hey I am a 17 year old male, 5'7 in height, around 130 pounds.
I have been having a problem with eating I really can't eat much at all and I work out at the gym at least 5 times a week. The problem I am having is after going to the gym or any physical activity ill puke if I eat or drink a protein shake, although sometimes I don't even participate in physical activity and I still puke. I will throw up roughly 4-10 times a month and it really frustrates me because I can't gain any weight. I'm a senior in high school and the majority of the kids can eat more than me without even trying. What should I do?

davisbillpam responded:
Dr. Palmer,

I had severe pain under my right rib and lost 50 pounds. I went to the dr and he said it was my gallbladder and sent me to a surgeon. After examining me he agreed it was my gallbladder. He did surgery in June 2010. Here it is December 2010 and I am still having the pain. I did go back to the surgeon, he order many blood tests. All test came back normal. What could be my problem.
I am 51 yr old female and have no insurance. So that limits me going to the Dr.
Thanks in advance!

davisbillpam replied to davisbillpam's response:
Sorry, I forgot this: The surgeon after examining me said my liver was giving me the pain. However all blood work was good.

MorganMeyer responded:
My liver enzymes were elevated to 399 during routine blood work, and have continued to be elevated over 200 in follow-up blood work over the past couple of months. Hepatitus testing has been negative, and all other blood work is normal. I do not regularly take tylenol, aspirin, or anything like that. A liver ultrasound showed fatty deposits in the liver, but the gastroenterologist saw that and is still ordering a liver biopsy to determine the cause of the elevated enzymes. I don't know if it's not enough "fatty deposits" to be causing those high numbers or exactly what prompted him to order the biopsy. His nurse just called to schedule the procedure.

My question is about alcohol consumption. I do not drink daily, or even weekly, but I have drank heavily probably twice (to the point of being drunk) over the past couple of months. I have always made sure not to drink at all at least a week before having my enzymes tested. No doctor has really bothered to ask me about my drinking other than to ask if I drink daily, and I have always said no, which is true. Now I'm reading on the Internet that enzymes can stay elevated for weeks after an episode of heavy drinking. Is this true? Could my elevated liver enzymes be just because of the couple of times I have been drunk over the past couple of months? Should I go ahead with the liver biopsy or tell the doctor that I want to go a couple of months without drinking and be tested again? I don't want to put off the biopsy if it's necessary, but I also don't want a pointless biopsy if I just need to lay off the partying for a bit! I'll appreciate any advice on this because the doctor who ordered the biopsy is VERY hard to talk to, and I kind of feel silly.

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to MorganMeyer's response:
Hi MorganMeyer,

Please visit our WebMD Hepatitis Community as Dr Palmer has moved over to that board (the Digestive Disorders Community board currently does not have a WebMD health professional to answer community members' questions.

Take care!

- Annie

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website