Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Stomach pain after eating shrimp
sand_dollar posted:
I ate some shrimp a few days ago and had some stomach pain the next day. It is occurring on my left side around the lower ribcage area. I am traveling in Thailand and initially thought it was due to some spoiled seafood. I was worried about hepatitis, but I don't feel nausea. I tried some antacid and that helped a little. I still feel bloated after eating just a little bit of food.

I did seem to have a slight fever but it doesn't seem too bad (just slightly tired).

Should I visit a doctor and if so, what tests can they do? I read that Hepatitis A usually goes away after a few weeks, though I think it is something else. Should I just try some antacid and see what happens? There was some charcoal pills that the pharmacist here said I can try.

teddybear200 responded:
I am not a Dr or Nurse so I can't tell you what to take but I can tell you what happened to me.

A few years ago I ate shrimp and the same happened to me got a lot of pain - cramps - was sick and low grade temperature. It past a couple days later, I thought it was bad shrimp.

A short time later I was invited out to Red Lobster for dinner and had shrimp again. This time within 4 hrs of eating the same symptoms but worse I went to the ER. Was admitted thinking it was food poisoning found out I had an allergy to Shellfish.

I was so scared I never ate fish again until last year. I thought it meant all fish - my friend told me it was okay eat like tuna, salmon, and fish not shrimp, lobster, crab or anything that had a hard shell on it.

So if I can offer anything it would be for you to go to an allergist and have them run some tests. I did and I am glad I did.

sand_dollar replied to teddybear200's response:
Thanks for the response. I think I am probably allergic to shellfish to some extent. I don't usually eat shellfish since it seems somewhat rich in some ingredient that doesn't go well with me. I do enjoy tuna and salmon though. I really enjoy the taste of all types of fish.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website