Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Good news and maybe really bad news.....
bertiemay1952 posted:
Have been having some trouble lately with stomach/intestinal problems. I had a resection in the ileo-cecal area about 18 months ago. Six or seven weeks ago, I started experiencing a feeling of extreme fullness and slight nausea in my stomach, loss of appetite...my bm's reverted back to painful "bits and pieces" and some diarrhea reminiscent of the time before my resection. I got in with a new GI doc week before last....had small bowel x-ray last Friday. Office called with the results...no signs of Crohn's! I was scheduled for c-scope yesterday, which I almost canceled, but thank goodness I didn't! The good news there were absolutely no signs of Crohn's in the colon....however the doc found a "very large' polyp in the ascending colon. The report noted "a single large, frond-like/villous, broad based polyp in the ascending colon". He did remove the polyp and took five other biopsies from different areas. Now I am absolutely terrified that I may have colon cancer. He remarked that because I have Crohn's I have a higher chance of developing colon cancer. He also said, he removed the polyp..he "went very deeply" to get it all, but if it is malignant I would have to consult a surgeon. I did some reading on this kind of polyp and it has a very high incidence of being malignant. They still don't know what is causing the other symptoms, but the doctor said let's see what happens here first, then we will continue with some other tests. I'll post again when I get the results of the biopsies. Please say a little prayer for me...and I will say this again...thanks to all of you here on the board. We all seem to be on a journey together (and a rather unpleasant one at times) but we all encourage each other and give each other hope.

Bertiemay

LilMissMerrySunshine responded:
Bertiemay,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I cannot imagine how scary it must be! I am not a Crohn's person, but I can tell you a story I hope will help you feel a little more at ease.

A few years ago, my stepdad went for a routine physical, and the doc felt what he thought was an enlarged spleen. But after x-rays, they realized instead it was a large mass on his kidney. The urilogical oncologist told us, based on the size and penetriation of the kidney, it was 99.9% cancer. He had NO doubt. But the treatment was the same either way. Remove it.

Now you can probably guess the ending of this story. That tumor was benign as benign could be. 99.9%? Meet your other .1%!

Yes, your chances are higher, but your chances of having it be benign are still good, too. So hang in there, try not to worry TOO much (I know, I know...that's why I said "too"), and know I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us updated.

I'm generally on the IBS board, so if you want to drop by and update me there in case I miss you here, that would be great, too!

Lots of hugs!

LilMiss

bertiemay1952 replied to LilMissMerrySunshine's response:
LilMiss, thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I have always been a life-long optimist and I intend to stay that way. As you said, there is always that chance that the polyp could be benign....and I certainly hope it is. I really appreciate your taking the time to read my post and reply to it. And I thank you so much for your prayers. When I do get the results back, I will certainly drop by the IBS board and let you know. Hugs to you too....

Bertiemay

mindyj1971 responded:
I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way! Please keep us informed of what you find out!

Hugs-Mindy

bertiemay1952 replied to mindyj1971's response:
Hi Mindy! I have been thinking about you...I know that your surgery is coming up and I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you. When you are able, please let us know how you are doing. As for myself, I should know something this week...I tell you, I was in total shock! But as I said, I am thinking positive thoughts...and I appreciate you good thoughts and prayers. Take care, and hopefully we will all get on the mend here!

Hugs to you!
Bertiemay

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website