Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
chronic diarrhea in an elderly person
An_201066 posted:
how do you determine what is causing chronic diarrhea in an elderly woman
Help!!
She is on several meds but they don't seem to be the culprit

LilMissMerrySunshine responded:
Has she seen a GI doc? Has she had stool studies done?

Did this come on suddenly, and are there other symptoms, like nausea, weight loss, inability to get to the bathroom in time?

Although the meds may not appear to be causing it, did this start after she started them? There are intestinal infections that can be caused by antibiotics or other meds that kill off the good bacteria in the stomach. So stopping them now wouldn't make any difference, but they could still be the culprit. (Or they could have nothing to do with it at all.)

I would start with the stool studies, if her GP is willing to do that and some blood tests while trying to get her in to see a GI doc.

I assume this was sudden onset? If not, have her keep a food journal between now and the time she goes to the doc. She may have developed a food intolerance, and that, along with including the time and specifics of her symptoms, might give the doc just enough extra information to figure it out.

Please keep us updated. You are welcome to come over to the IBS/undiagnosed board as well.

jsnjs replied to LilMissMerrySunshine's response:
We have gone to a gi doc but unfortunately she is too frail to have a colonoscopy...she has diarrhea 3-4 times a day and it prevents her participation in a day care center...I am a t a loss what to do...any suggestions????

georgiagail replied to jsnjs's response:
A food journal would be useful to determine if any particular food (i.e., milk, for example) worsens this diarrhea.

Being both elderly and frail could be excellent symptoms of malnutrition (not unusual in the elderly). Malabsorption could be an issue here.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website