Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Change In Bowel Habits w/ Nausea
Justin_2010 posted:
I'm a 28 year old male and about a month ago, my bowel habits just changed. I began to have the urge to go more frequently and at times I just feel like I've never completly "emptied out." At times it's diarrhea, but most of the time it's not. There is no blood or muscus in my stools. Now, some nausea and some lightheadedness has accompanied my change in bowel habits. Any ideas or suggestions of what could be causing this? Could it just be an infection of some kind I need to get a prescription for? Or could it just be dietary related?

arbob2 responded:
Have you seen a Dr. about this yet? If not, you really need to get some of your questions answered.

Could be IBS or Colitis, but you do need to get some medical advice.

Keep us posted. We do care and hopefully you will get some answers quickly.

LilMissMerrySunshine replied to arbob2's response:
Definitely a sudden change that needs to be investigated. Could it be a GI infection of some sort? Yes. It could also be a number of other things. One of the good things about GI docs is they usually start with the easier tests and work their way up. Stool samples, CT scans, blood tests, then if they have not found anything, they will go on to do endoscopy/colonoscopy.

Have you made any changes in the last month? A new favorite restaurant, a new job, new relationship, end of one of those, etc? Also, between now and your doc's appointment, it cannot hurt to keep a food journal along with the time/type of problems you are having. That will give your doc something to go by as well. I know people who have found food intolerances that way.

Nausea has always been my least favorite symptom, so of course the one I have the most, but there are several good meds for that. And it tends to come along with diarrhea in a lot of people. The lightheadedness concerns me more. The combination is definitely "going to the doctor" worthy. Do not let your GP get away with just giving you a pill and sending you on your way with an IBS diagnosis. IBS is an elimination diagnosis. If your GP runs basic tests and cannot find anything, but is willing to give you something for your symptoms (like an anti-nausea med) until (s)he can get you into a GI doc, that would be great.

Keep us updated. Good luck! And you are welcome to join us on the IBS/undiagnosed board as well.

Justin_2010 replied to LilMissMerrySunshine's response:
Nothing has really changed that would cause stress in anyway, and I really don't think my diet has changed too much either, but I do like the idea of keeping a food journal to keep track of when symptons come up.

One thing that crossed my mind about this, was that I've been having a lot of sinus headaches. Along with that, I can also tell that my sinuses have been draining a lot with the bad taste in my mouth and just that feeling in the back of my throat. Could the extra draining from my sinuses be causing the problem with my GI and the nausea?

LilMissMerrySunshine replied to Justin_2010's response:
My little brother vomits (and thus has nausea) whenever he gets drainage. Personally, I will get more diarrhea (also accompanied by nausea). The light-headedness COULD go along with the headaches.

Maybe you would want to address this from an ENT side first. You know you have a lot of sinus problems, so get that "fixed", then see where you are with the GI problems. If they are still around, you know it's separate. If not, you've taken care of two problems.

I think that's what I would do at least. You may be able to avoid some unnecessary testing.

earthtonegirl replied to Justin_2010's response:
I know drainage can cause some GI probs like bloating, so it may be a good idea to look at the sinus side of things. You may still want to follow up with a gastro doc, too, since sinus problems sometimes turn out to be related to acid reflux or food intolerance.

Coldharbor1 replied to Justin_2010's response:
I have had a bad stomach and nausea from sinus problems for years. I also get the bad taste in my mouth. The drainage from a sinus infection definitely affects the stomach and also causes nausea. You are on the right track.

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website