Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
GERD Aspiration while sleeping
mstngbul posted:
Hello all, I assume that some others may have similar issues with their GERD symptoms. This happens only a few times a year and I don't understand why. I will wake up in the middle of the night choking and coughing. At first I thought I was going to be ok, but then I start to cough more and the acid hits my throat and upper chest. It is almost like I aspirated stomach fluids into my lungs. It gradually get much worse. My saliva gets extremely thick and I start having trouble breathing. I cough and choke for about an 1-2 hours. Nothing seems to help and I honestly feel completely helpless in pain. My saliva gets so thick that I have trouble swallowing. I end up sleeping sitting up and my lungs feel like they have fluid in them deep down.
Can anyone relate or tell me what is going on? I am totally exhausted and feel as if I have bronchitis in my chest.
Anything to worry about?
Thanks,
Mark

IL60477 responded:
You've described me to a "T," Mark. This is exactly what happens to me about 4-5 times a year; every detail you have described. It's frightening and reminds me of what drowning must feel like. 2-3 hours per bout is also my experience. I fear these bouts so much that I now sleep very lightly every night, robbing myself of restful sleep. I definitely "feel your pain," sir.

An_248318 responded:
This happened to me last night, along with acidic diarrhea, pepto bismol helped a little with the esophogeal part but I still had the diarrhea, it lasted a good two hours and my wife was upset that I felt so bad. Going to the VA hospital will let you know what they say.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website