Hemorrhoidectomy ?
An_201095 posted:
Hi all,

I have searched the Exchange for hemorrhoidectomy stories and my results were slim. I wanted to know if there is anyone out there that have had the surgery done and what was your experience.

I am scheduled to have mine in week and am becoming extremely nervous. Any advice?

Christistheonlyway777 responded:
Pray for God given wisdom to the Doctor's. It is amazing how inflamation in my own body has been reduced just by eating right and exercising. Try the Mediterranean diet. Cut out the saturated fats and sugars, carbs. They key is, focus on getting enough nutrition not the feeling of being full. You will feel so much better and I bet your roids go down. I always try the natural remedies first.

ebonyeye replied to Christistheonlyway777's response:
Thanks so much for the reply.

I haven't tried the Mediterranean diet, but I have improved the way that I have been eating and have lost over 21 pounds. I've had them for 11 years and nothing seems to work. Thanks again!

Christistheonlyway777 replied to ebonyeye's response:
I don't know how much you've changed you diet but good for you!
The key is not just to change the diet partially to lose weight. The key is to change the eating lifestyle so our bodies are fed wholesome foods all of the time which in turn causes our bodies to function in the way they were created including naturally fighting off disease, sickness and inflamation. Many diseases are linked to inflamation, roids are inflamation of the veins which have been weakened over time because of the lack of control of the root of the problem; inflamation.
Our bodies were not designed to be filled with so much animal fats and processed foods. The way most "off the shelf" (prepackaged) foods are designed, they are nothing more than to fill our bellies for satisfaction but I have to admit, animal fats sure make foods taste good and this is where most people get trapped. This is where we get empty calories from with little of the natural nutrients left in them that our bodies need. If you haven't gotten the surgery, try the Mediterranean diet to the "T" for two months. It's worth it. Otherwise, I hope your surgery goes well and I will pray for you.

An_201096 responded:
I had a hemorrhoidectomy three years ago, you are sore after it without a doubt so make sure you keep your stools soft, exactly 12 months after I had to go in again to have skin tags removed, and I am still having problems and have been told I may have to go in yet again to have my anus stretched as I still bleed and still have a stubburn tag that bleeds and gets sore now and again. I had this operation and was assured I would not have this problem. Others I have spoke to have said they are brilliant and have no more problems make sure you get the full ins and outs and what is the outcome you are likely to have I may be an acception

grammyrenee responded:
First - make sure you trust your doctor with your life. This is a very intricate operation and the wrong doctor can make the whole experience horrible - as it was in my case. I had 23 hemorrhoids removed 8 years ago. I had those same hemorrhoids for about 30 years, I got them when I was 18 and pregnant. They just never went away or got smaller. I finally had problems with them seeping blood because the skin was so thin. I HAD to have the surgery.
The biggest problem I had was getting enough fiber to make the bowel movements large enough to stretch my anus to the proper size. I still have problems with that because my doctor just said to eat better, but gave me no idea of what to eat. You want to make sure you eat lots of insoluable fiber. You know that kind that just doesn't digest - like shredded wheat. Ask your doctor for a list of high fiber foods you should eat post surgery. Also it is necessary to take a good stool softener. Your pain level will be high at first and thank God for good pain meds that don't constipate. I had trouble getting around because let's face it your butt is in the middle of your legs, so the discomfort (after pain meds and then after some healing) effects all of your life. I healed very slowly due to the problem I had with small sized bowel movements.
I think my doctor was a quack and when I went for my regular exam at my gyn, she thought so too. She offered to testify when I sued him for messing up my surgery. I didn't sue. Within a year I had 13 new hemorrhoids. Not normal I'm told by others who had the surgery.
Be SURE you trust your doctor. If you have any doubts about his/her ability to make this experience as painless and successful as possible, put off the surgery until you find a colo-rectal doctor you trust.
Others that I have spoken to had very short recovery time and had no problems with bowel size because their doctors advised them appropriately on what type of food to eat as well as which stool softeners to use. Try very hard to get those stools large because even though they are a little uncomfortable (not very because of the stool softener) it is worth it to get your anus appropriately large.
Expect to have considerable pain within the first few hours of the surgery. My doctor gave me Demoral which is not a very effective pain reliever and didn't relieve pain in my case. I had to wait 4 hours for the next pain med, which thankfully worked. Discuss with your doctor what he plans to give you for pain immediately after the surgery. You should wake up with discomfort, not pain. If you have had any surgery before, you should have an idea of which pain med works well for you.
Good luck! I hope I haven't been too much of a nay-sayer. Like I said, others I talked to had none of the problems I had. They, however, trusted their doctor and talked over all the areas that I had problems with before the surgery.

ebonyeye replied to grammyrenee's response:
Thank you all so much for your responses. I am on day 8 post op and am feeling back to myself. I totally am off meds and pain relievers. I have to say my surgery went GREAT, I didn't feel any pain what-so-ever the whole day after my surgery. It wasn't until the meds wore off, so by Saturday I was in a little bit of discomfort but i took a bath and/or sitz baths about 5 times a day and they felt great. I didnt have a BM until Day 5, my doc recommended that I take 2 tablespoons of mineral oil for 5 nights and this help tremendously with the BMs. Of course after the 1st one I was in SO much pain so I would take a percocet and go to sleep. I am still sore and that area is swollen but I can definitely tell the difference and am glad i went ahead and got this over with.
@grammy, wow Im so sorry youve had to experience so much. I didnt one person could have SO many roids. I hope you find relief soon and thanks for your insight as well.

vhkjbk responded:
Have the new procedure They take the hemorrhoids and staple them where there is no feeling Totally painless overnight surgery I put the surgery off for years,had to have transfusions etc. Found this surgery and am feeling great