Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Diarrhea and high blood pressure
jillikinsk posted:
I have recently had issues with high blood pressure and am wondering if chronic diarrhea can cause high blood pressure. Can it?

I believe my stomach is just becoming more sensitive to spices and hence the diarrhea. Trying to find out if there is a connection between the two. Help!

LilMissMerrySunshine responded:
Were you put on any meds for the high bp? If so, look at that first.

My second thought would be whatever is causing one could be causing the other. Stress on the body (& I don't just mean anxiety or other things docs use to dismiss stomach problems) can cause high bp, diarrhea, etc. This could be physical stress, like pain or an undiagnosed illness, or mental stressors like major family upheaval, etc.

Are you having a lot of pain with the diarrhea, like cramps? Are those getting progressively worse? If the diarrhea has been ongoing, but the high bp just started, increasing pain with it might be a contributing factor.

Have you seen a GI doctor about your diarrhea?

Hopefully there is someone else who can give you more info. Personally, I had chronic diarrhea for years and had very low bp (eventually diagnosed with Addison's), and my hubby has high bp and no diarrhea issues, so I'm just not familiar with a situation quite like yours.

CalGal37 responded:
Because of the water loss during the diarrhea, it would typically lower the blood pressure. There's a direct correlation between water intake/outflow and blood pressure.

However, stress/stress hormones could also have an impact on your BP and skew the results in an elevated direction.

jillikinsk responded:
I have not been put on BP medicines as of yet. I do have Rheumatoid arthritis and type 1 Diabetes. I have thought that my pain form the arthritis could be a factor.

I have not been to a GI doctor yet, I am currently trying to keep a list of what I am eating to see if certain foods do not agree with me.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website