Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Question for Expert.
christinam4 posted:
I am 31 just diagnosed with Hatial Hernia. I really have no problems in that area. The area I do have problems with is my entire abdomen. (whole intestines) I get severe cramps all over, it feels like contractions. It will increase and build up and release. Durring this time I can not go to the restroom or pass gass even! It is so severe it imediatly makes me break out into a sweat, nausea, flush, very ill. It will have me doubled over in pain. I have gone to the E.R and they always think I am full of it and do not believe me. No test, nothing. Does anyone else have these symptoms? It will last all day and it will make my whole body hurt worse than it normally does.

I also have FM, IC, IBS, DDD, OA, Osteoporosis, possible Lupus, and many other problems. Just a brief history. I am waiting on my colonoscopy. I know then I will get the answers I need. I would love to know what it is now, so I can treat it and possibly prevent it. I do have chronic constipation. I do take probiotics for it as well as Amitiza. I just started the Amitiza. The Dr added for me to take Miralax every night to help as well.

I wish I would have known about this group here, I would have joined it long time ago. I am in the process of getting all my diagnosis, therefore I can apply for disability. I will also see a neurologist for possible MS or MS like symptoms.

I just had the upper GI scope done today. Any answers or help would be nice. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Christina

christinam4 responded:
I also have weight loss with whatever GI problems I am having. Maybe that can help as well.

christinam4 replied to christinam4's response:
Please anyone with suggestions or know what this is or what could be causing it, let me know. Please feel free to step in and help me!

earthtonegirl responded:
Please tell me they tested you for Celiac disease (the full panel and not just the single IgA Antigliadin test)? Pretty much everything you mentioned is either a condition associated with CD or something that CD is commonly misdiagnosed as... Of course, there are some ignorant doctors (like my GI) who still think you can't have constipation with CD (absolutely false).

I'm not saying that's necessarily what it is, but since CD is so common, and so commonly misdiagnosed, it's the first thing I think when someone has a list of issues and no diagnosis. And osteoporosis at such a young age?? Very common with Celiac.

One thing that's always a good idea is to ask your doctors for copies of your test results - blood work, EGD results, etc. Sometimes information that's in the results doesn't get communicated to the patient - doctors may ignore tests that come out "only a little" abnormal, or they may feel that "a little" inflammation isn't important enough to tell you about. Plus, you can't always assume that your doctor is fully familiar with everything in your file. They don't have time for that. Sometimes we're the only ones who will take the time to look at everything. Many of us have found interesting things when we look at our records.

GI disorders are just devilishly hard to diagnose, unfortunately - so many different conditions share overlapping symptoms, and the same condition can present with entirely different symptoms in different people. Add to that the fact that "tummy troubles" don't get a lot of sympathy from people who haven't experienced them, and it can get pretty frustrating. I think we've all shared your experience with the ER - unless you're dying or losing a limb, they don't do much for you. When I went., they were convinced my pain was due to pregnancy, no matter how many times I tried to explain to them that I'd had a D&C the day before (if I had been pregnant, a D&C would've terminated it). And that was at a good hospital.

Hope you find some answers, and please keep us posted!

christinam4 replied to earthtonegirl's response:
Thank you for your response. My GI Dr is new and he is wonderful. I already had the Endo scope done and now I will have a colonoscopy done the 13th of May. I have not had any blood work done in that area. I do believe the colonoscopy will reveal the answer to all my questions and problems. thank you again for your response. I would love to still hear from others who have had this experience.

Christina

jzelazny responded:
I don't know where to start ,I am so frustrated and confused.2yrs ago i was told by my Gi that i had corhns colitis.started me on pantsa,also a couple times endcourt.I had bad reactions with meds hives,pased out cold so i stopped.I have had all the tests ,I also had an ulcer.my last hospital stay.I was told my ulcear went away,went through all the test again,says everything looked fine however i was vomiting a lot with spots of blood fever server stomach pain,i had direa than bad constipation, I was so dehydrated they had a hard time finding veins for iv ,my eyes were so swollen and full of blood spots .I have not been able to eat fruit or veggies or dairy ect.My first visit to a gi doctor was from eating an apple.regardless to say my last visit I felt like i was going crazy and the doctors made me fel like it was all in my head.I went from being a mortgage broker to a babysitter in my home.I have not worn jeans in awhile and when i do i take them off as soon as i am in the house,I feel pregnant all the time and burp like a man ,no offense lol.top everything off I left the hospital with antidepressant pills that they cal bug juice in jail,so i stopped them as well,have not went back to my doctor for all my results.any advise for someone who is not craz

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to jzelazny's response:
Hi jzelazny,

You are replying to a discussion thread that is 10 months old. Please realize that at the current time this community board does not have a WebMD health professional to answer community members' questions.

Please take a look at our Crohn's Disease Health Center for helpful articles.

- Annie

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website