Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Includes Expert Content
Carrageenan intolerance
joymkr posted:
I believe that some of the IBD diagnoses are rooted in the patients intolerance to carragenan, which is a seaweed that is used as a thickener in many, many foods and artist oils.
Is there a blood test to determine if one is intolerant to carrageenan?

ohmygerd responded:
Thanks for posting. I have gluten and caseine intolerance and believe I cannot tolerate carrageenan also. Beware, it is in all fortified soy, rice, almond milk drinks, vitamins, many many products.

THE AMERICAN GASTROENTEROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
C Mel Wilcox, MD responded:
not that i am aware of

i believe this may be somewhat controversial

joymkr replied to C Mel Wilcox, MD's response:
Hi Dr.! thanks for your response to my question. I have researched this topic for several months and have come up with a company, ImuPro, which is located in Australia/NewZealand who performs a variety of allergy tests. This particular test, ImuPro 300, does indeed test for Carrageenan Intolerance/Allergy.
I would be interested in your evaluation of this company and its testing procedures (imupro.com).
Thanks so much!
Bob

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 63 found this helpful