Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Includes Expert Content
Rectal bleeding from alcohol consumption
An_201271 posted:
Sometimes a few days after having consumed alcohol, I get bleeding from the rectum. Any reason to this?

THE AMERICAN GASTROENTEROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
C Mel Wilcox, MD responded:
Hi Anon_55077,

Nope, cant really tie the two together unless you eat less or alter diet resulting in constipation and hard stools. If you are over age 50 and/or it persists, i would make sure you see someone just to be sure.

everydayizagift responded:
My opinion is different than the doctors'

If you see a pattern that when you consume alcohol and then experience pain/bleeding/diarrhea ect. It's logical. Your body is sensitive to alcohol just as a person may be lactose intolerant or have celiac disease and can't eat gluten.

I remember the 1st time I experienced blood on my stool like it was yesterday. I was 17 and drinking one of those 22 ounce malt beers, sittin on the toilet and about to go out to a graduation party. Maybe if I had listened to my body and stopped drinking alcohol, eating pizza daily, I would have felt better and not have been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.

What you put in your body makes a difference

everydayizagift replied to C Mel Wilcox, MD's response:
Hi Dr. Wilcox. How can you not tie the two together? The altering of the diet, constipation words that you wrote just confuses people and is insignificant, An_108018 didn't mention food or eating at all.
The concern ---- consuming alcohol resulting in bleeding from the rectum. ALSO - The rectal bleeding post drinking has happened a few times. Logic would say there's a connection there... no?
So, if I go sip some anti-freeze, then vomit, there wouldn't be a connection unless I altered my diet or experience constipation.

Hahaha Think about how stupid of a statement that is.

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to everydayizagift's response:
Hi everydayizagift,

Anti-freeze is a poison, please do not even consider ingesting this as anti-freeze can be deadly.

The health professionals are not available to answer community members' questions at the moment. Please see the announcement area for more information.

Please see a doctor if you are having digestive problems.

- Annie

everydayizagift replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Annie,
Thank you for responding and informing me that Anti-freeze is a poison. :)
Alcohol is toxic, alcohol can be deadly, alcohol can lead to health problems.

You're smart and understood the case in point with using the anti-freeze analogy.

If you didn't understand, what I was saying was that the doctors' statement didn't make sense.
What you put in your body, will have an effect on your health. That's all.

Helpful Tips

relief of hemorrhoids
had hemorrhoids for years,tried all the store remedies,nothing worked. when my boys were little we used diaper rash ointment on them(zinc ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website