Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Elevated Liver Enzymes
An_201322 posted:
I recently discovered through routine bloodwork that I have elevated liver enzymes. Follow-up work a week later showed that while I don't have hepatitus, my levels had gone up. After initially finding out about the condition, I stopped drinking alcohol and taking pain meds. However, I have used marijuana. I'd like to find out if the marijuana contributed to the increase in my liver enzyme levels.

larsstarscanary responded:
I would always suspect that "street" drugs can do us harm.

Do you think you could give up the booze, pain meds, and non-legal drugs in order to save your health? Can you talk to your doctor about quitting the substances? Doctors can help you quit, I believe, even if they refer you elsewhere.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon_62240,

We do have a couple of boards that you may also find helpful:

WebMD Hepatitis Community

WebMD Substance Abuse Community

- Annie

BuddyGuy replied to larsstarscanary's response:
Thank you for your response. I'd just like to point out that it was medical marijuana, not off the street, and it was a one-time use. I have stopped using all drugs, legal and illicit. I'm just trying to figure out what has an effect on the enzymes.

BuddyGuy replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Annie. As noted above, I don't have hepatitis, nor do I have a substance abuse problem. I guess I was looking for research-based info about what causes the elevation in enzymes. Any idea where I can find that, aside from my doctor?

RikAG replied to BuddyGuy's response:
My liver enzymes were elevated and my doctor ( Mayo Clinic) told educated me on the importance of eating and drinking right as well as weight control. Common causes, other than alcohol and hepatitis virus, include bad diet, obesity, Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver disease, over the counter medications, and several diseases. Here is a link to the Mayo web site that talks about them (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/elevated-liver-enzymes/MY00508/DSECTION=causes).

My liver enzymes are now in the normal range. In another thread in this forum, a person commented that he lowered his liver enzymes by daily drinking the juice of a lemon mixed with water. It sounds like an interesting, easy, and healthy to do. I started doing that - but can't claim that it helps. I expect it won't work if the root cause is some other disease - in which case the fix would be to address that.

Reta32205 responded:
You did not say what enzymes were elevated and to what level. I can assume they were quite elevated since you retested a week later.

My AST and ALT were elevated a few years back. My doctor told me it was NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). But, he ran all the Hepatitis tests to make sure of it. They were all negative. I went on a diet, lost 30 pounds and everything returned to normal. It has remained normal for the last 5 years.

Reta

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website