Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
IBS??
sherm80 posted:
I have periodic tightening (spasms?) of abdominal area when eating certain foods, especially very fibrous foods and I notice also with red wine. It feels like muscles tightening up, I do apparently have IBS so might this be related?? Last colonoscopy also showed "very redundant colon"?? Also, deal with anxiety, so all signs point to a very unsettled digestive area, right?? I think I just diagnosed myself!! LOL

barbarafromtucson responded:
Hi,

Have you been "officially" diagnosed with IBS? IBS is a 'catchall' diagnosis that doctors like to use when they can't figure out what's wrong or don't want to take the time to diagnose. You may want to look for a different doctor if your current doctor is diagnosing you with IBS.

Keep a journal of all that you eat/drink and then the details about the results (including time, shape, consistancy, etc.). Also keep track of your moods/emotions. Over time, this will help show patterns that will help identify what the triggers are...sounds like you've already figured out some of them.

One can't self-diagnose IBS and IBS is a catchall diagnosis--so I would keep on top of it--even if it means going to different doctors--until you get a specific diagnosis.

Keep us posted!

--Barbara

sherm80 replied to barbarafromtucson's response:
what exactly does "redundant colon" actually mean?? And usually, when this "tightening" occurs, it produces no bowel movements, frequent gas, maybe; and, too, when these episodes occur, often it leads to hunger pangs, so it's goofy. I don't think I've ever had a "normal" digestive system!!

Lastly, is there something in red wine that's more of an irritant, or are we back to alcohol in general?

sheba_q replied to sherm80's response:
Redundant colon means it's longer than average. This makes a colonoscopy more difficult, but it doesn't usually mean health problems.

Gas makes me wonder if you have some kind of food intolerance. Anxiety is also a possible symptom. That makes keeping a food journal all the more important.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website