Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
vitamins
sherm80 posted:
I know you are suppose to divide the taking of a vitamin, morning and night. Is that necessary with vitamin D, should you take like 400mg/morning and then 400/night, OR can you take say 1000mg in one pill, and be done with it, instead of 500/500??

sheba_q responded:
I've always been told to take vitamins with food, otherwise it didn't really matter when I take them. Personally I divide up my vitamins but that's only because I take a lot of them and it's simpler to take some of them with breakfast and the rest with dinner.

I take my Vit D as a 1000 IU dose when I have dinner. Over the winter I'll also add an additional 400 IU every other day and I haven't decided if I'll take it at the same time or in the morning.

georgiagail responded:
If the larger dose causes some stomach discomfort, divide the dosage into taking it twice a day. Otherwise, it makes little difference.

It should be noted, however, that if taken with food a higher fiber meal can reduce the absorption of these pills. Humans can't digest or absorb fiber and large amounts (i.e., taking these with a high fiber cereal) can result in the fiber binding with the nutrients and passing them out of body in stool.

This is why, while certain high fiber cereals contain "100 percent of the nutrition adults need on a daily basis" what we consume and what we end up absorbing can be quite different.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website