Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Heartburn after Chemotherapy
Minikev posted:
My wife has been suffering with persistent heartburn for the past five weeks.
History - Lumpectomy right breast May 2010. Four treatments of chemotherapy
and now undergoing radiation treatments. After the first chemo, developed sever heartburn. OCT medications did hot help. Responded eventually to Carafate and Protonix. Similar symptoms did not develop after the next three chemo treatments.
Until about two to three weeks after the last chemo, when the heartburn returned and has
been with her every day and night since. Just yesterday an endoscopy was done and there was no sign of irritation , no infection and no fungus found.
Current treatment is one Protonix before breakfast , one at bedtime with one Zantacs at bedtime. Nothing appears to alleviate the heartburn and the cause is still unknown. Also,
during the last five days diarrhea has appeared as another symptom..

Has anyone had an experience like this and has the cause and cure been identified?

mbrizio responded:
I finished a 6 month run of interferon almost 2 years ago. I have heartburn EVERYDAY It seems to be getting worse. I take Zantac every night. Lying down is horrifying, before Zantac or if I forgot I wake up breathing acid REAL PAIN

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website