Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Manage my stress or see a gastroenterologist first?
Ysheaito posted:
I was looking for a "stress" community but didn't find one, I hope I'm posting this in a relatively "right" place".
After I had my second baby in February 2010 by a c-section, my digestive system was working fine and everything was going right. Then I think it was in May that I started taking my birth control pills, and soon after that I started having many digestive problems. I had very acute constipation which resulted in what I think are hemorrhoids (there was bleeding, but only while I'm passing stool and I'm inclined to think the bleeding is only resulting from the hemorrhoids) and with time, symptoms started to increase, heartburn and acid reflux almost all the time, abdominal cramps, constant nausea and headache, and yesterday I started to experience shortness of breathe right after I eat even if it's just an apple or a hardboiled egg. What struck me as odd was that I had this inexplicable urge to burst crying when I was experiencing the shortness of breath. I should mention that when I experienced this for the first time yesterday, it happened while I was reading about the Glycemic Index and I was very upset because I had been eating wrong all my life. This happened again today after I ate my main meal. Shortness of breath with an urge to cry. When I sleep, I feel nothing and I don't wake up feeling short of breath. This is making me think this might be only stress? I researched and found the following:

"The Physical and Mental Signs of Stress: 1. Excess weight for your age and height. 2. High blood pressure. 3. Lack of appetite. 4. A desire to eat as soon as a problem arises. 5. Frequent heartburn. 6. Chronic diarrhea or constipation. 7. Unable to sleep. 8. Constant fatigue. 9. Frequent headache. 10. A need for aspirin or some other medication daily. 11. Muscle spasms. 12. Feeling full although you've not eaten. 13. Shortness of breath. 14. Feeling faint or nausea. 15. Unable to cry or easily burst into tears. 16. Persistent sexual problems (frigidity, impotence, fear). 17. Excessive nervous energy which prevents sitting still and relaxing."

I'm experiencing all symptoms but the ones I stroke out. However, I still think this all could be a digestive disorder and I could need to see a doctor for this. I would really appreciate it if I could get an opinion on whether these gradually appearing symptoms could be signs of a digestive disorder (GERD maybe?) or if this sounds more like dangerous stress.

Note that I am in fact very stressed, and this is why I'm putting this possibility first. I live away from home and have no family or friends and two young children that well, drive me crazy, and I have to juggle between work (I'm currently the main provider), housework, children, and my diet and exercise.

sheba_q responded:
Hormones can have a *huge* impact on you, and this started not only after childbirth, but also right after you started birth control again. Honestly I think that's the culprit. The symptoms you list are totally in line with what can happen when your hormonal birth control doesn't mesh with you. I'm betting that if you finish off the pills you're on now and then don't start a new pack, that your symptoms will start to go away. This isn't to say that you can't use birth control pills again, just that the one you're on now isn't working with the body you have now.

Stress isn't helping you either. It can also have a big impact on how you feel, and with the birth control pills it's likely causing everything to be that much worse. If you can manage even a few minutes to yourself every day to just stop and breathe, you'll be so much better for it.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website