Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Lower left abdominal pain and upper thigh pain
SolemnHour posted:
I am not entirely sure that this is the correct community to post this in or not, however I need some advice about a recent health issue. For the past year now, I have had indigestion issues that include nausea, diarrhea, cramping, gas, bloating, constipation, and belching which I have seen my doctor about. This past Sunday morning I awoke with lower left and right abdominal pain/pressure. After about half an hour of walking around and relieving the gas, the pain/pressure subsided. However, it returned later the same day, but only in the lower left abdomen and it stayed there for about two days. I had no other symptoms outside of the indigestion issues during those two days. Then two days after the initial incident when I was driving home from work the pain/pressure went from my lower left abdomen to the top of my thigh and since then I sometimes get the feeling that my lower left abdomen is swollen however, it is not. Since that night I have had repeated incidents where the pain/pressure has started in my lower left abdomen and gone down to the top of my left thigh. I have also experienced lower left side, back and upper left hip pain in the last few days along with the pain/ pressure. I have considered seeing my doctor, however my mother believes that it is just gas and I should just suck it up and ignore it. However, a co-worker believes that the lower abdominal pain that I experienced last Sunday was a pulled groin muscle and not related to my indigestion problems. Could it be that I pulled my groin muscle without knowing it? As I mentioned before, I have no other symptoms besides the pain/pressure in my lower left abdomen and upper left thigh that would indicate abdominal injury. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

CalGal37 responded:
Solemn, I agree with your co-worker that you should consult with your doc. Lower left pain could be related to a number of GI organs or it could also be something like an inguinal hernia and considering you've got pain into the top of the thigh, it really doesn't sound like something you should ignore. Please consider getting this checked out.

SolemnHour replied to CalGal37's response:
CalGal37,

Thank you for your reply to my initial inquiry. I have made the decision not to listen to my mother because I do believe that the pressure/pain I am feeling in my left lower abdomen, groin and upper thigh area is not gas. However, if it was something other then a pulled or strain muscle shouldn't the pain be constant? I have found that especially with the pressure/pain in the groin and thigh it depends on how long I am on my feet. I just completed a six hour shift at my place of employment and the swelling sensation did not start until after five hours into my shift. I have also found that the pressure/pain is lessened once the area is warmed up by drinking warm/hot beverages. Does that mean anything? Thank you for your time. Happy Holidays

CalGal37 replied to SolemnHour's response:
Solemn, there's no standard pattern for any one medical condition - whether it's small or large. One person can have constant pain while another will feel almost nothing - that's the problem with most conditions. And the symtoms of a lot of condition overlap. So only someone who has the ability to get some tests done, listen to all the symptoms, etc., is really going to be able to pick the issue apart.

If it is something like a hernia, it could be just fine until a single twist or turn puts a portion of the bowel in 'just' the right position to partially 'poke through' the connective tissue and then the pain would start.

There's nothing 'logical' about the human body, unfortunately.

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website