Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
esophagus spams
alvarado10 posted:
Yesterday I had the worst chest yet, I had to leave work early and head stright to the ER. My EKG and x-ray showed no abnormalities and was told the pain was comming from an internal organ like my esophagus.

I've been dealing with acid reflux type symptoms for the last 2 1/2 months and have not yet been diagnosed. I always been a heathly person with no medical conditions except maybe high cholesterol and considered overweight.

I been on protonix which has helped very much but these spams have been worst in the last two weeks. Has anyone gone through these before and what did you do to help relieve these symptoms?

CalGal37 responded:
Alvarado, first you've got to find out if it is esophageal spasms. Ask your doc to schedule some testing to find out if the esophagus is involved. Make sure you're following a GERD-friendly diet and make lifestyle changes, too.

In most cases, the drugs that are used for esophageal spasms are some specific anti-spasm meds, nitroglycerin, or calcium channel blockers.

alvarado10 replied to CalGal37's response:
Thanks CalGal37, I'll be scheduling a GI appointment soon once my work insurance kicks in.

anony1673 responded:
Hi alvarado,

Boy can I relate to you. I've been dealing with severe acid reflux for about 5 years and my old GI told me I had esophageal spasms. I sought a new GI because my nitrolingual spray which I was prescribed stopped working (if you haven't tried that yet, that can make attacks go away. Maybe bring it up to your doc? Of course if you have certain problems it may not be a good decision. See what he says). My new GI ordered an esophageal manometry to see if I even had esophageal spasm. Turns out, I didn't. I just have bad GERD.

I know exactly what you're feeling... horrible chest pain that feels like heart attacks?? Nitroglycerin tablets and spray worked for me for a long time, but after a few years it stopped working altogether. Peppermint tablets are very good too, but those stopped working as well... For now, I'm just using pepto tums nyquil (not at the same time of course) and that "sometimes" works. You just have to learn what your trigger foods are and try to avoid them as best you can. Mine are dairy products and greasy foods. Good luck to you!!!

alvarado10 replied to anony1673's response:
I've only recently been dealing with this problem since October. I'm much better then before but still have some pain issues.

I'll try keeping a log of what I eat and see if this makes any differrence.

Thanks

Helpful Tips

abodmenal pain
from last 2 weeks i suffering from abodmenal is pain very badly .and my toilet also not good.always i have to go toilet .per 3,4 times i ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website