Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Digestive issues, bathroom straining, etc
An_201494 posted:
This may be a bit "TMI" but I have concerns.
I have been having digestive issues for several months now, it doesn't seem incredibly serious (doesn't seem to affect any other parts of my life/health) but is persistent and as such worrying. It started out mostly as constipation, which is still the case to some extent. I have a lot of trouble passing bowel movements, which recently have been somewhat soft but still large-ish pieces that stay together, though not solid lumps like a regular stool (though, in the same period, I have had these "normal" looking stools, with the same difficulty). It almost always feels as if I have to go to the bathroom, but I very rarely am able to actually go. I should say, rarely in terms of how often I feel I have to go--I still manage to go about once a day, two or three at the most, though I often really have to strain.

In addition, I frequently see foods in my stool, like beans, grapefruit, even sometimes leafy greens or tomato. I'm a vegetarian, I should maybe add.

It feels like the bowel movement is stuck just before an opening that, if it passed through, would allow it to come right out, but I can't get it to move past. I have taken to using coffee to regulate my bowel movements, and this normally produces a BM pretty quickly, though it seems like the effectiveness has been lessened with extended use.

I went to the doctor a few months ago and he told me that my bowel sounds and etc were all normal and everything should be fine within a few weeks, but I have not felt much better at all, so I am hoping I can get some advice without having to go back, if it's not necessary.

alvarado10 responded:
You should see your doctor again or a GI doctor for possibly IBS or low stomach acid. Drink lots of water and eat high in fiber.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website