Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
What on Earth Happened here?
Ikons695 posted:
Hi there,

I'm an almost 22 year old guy, and usually I'm pretty healthy. I very rarely get anything more serious than a cold, but recently was an exception. I came down with some strep type thing (I dont know if it was strep, my dad who is a doctor said it could be) that hurt so bad I had to gargle Lidocaine mouthwash to make it even slightly bearable. I guess I'm not that tolerant to physical pain because I don't experience it much.

I had taken about 6 asprin tablets (well below the maximum dose) for two days because they helped too, and I was so desperate for relief. I have a very sensitive stomach and I knew that you were supposed to eat it with something, but I just could not get anything down at all.

Unfortunately, after the sore throat disappeared, something else came. I started getting this ridiculous bloating that keeps putting pressure all the way up to my throat. I've been belching almost nonstop for 3 days straight. Its been seriously disturbing my sleep, because whenever I 'leave it alone' it just builds up a painful pressure at my throat. It's also been making my throat pretty sore all over again. I've never in my life had anything like this and this too has prevented me from eating and severely limited my drinking. I've probably eaten less than 200 calories in 4 days and I'm still somewhat dehydrated because I can't get enough liquid down. I would start sipping water then start gulping because I was so thirsty (but it was suppressed for some reason until after I started sipping) and just vomit because all this gas would get jammed in my throat and esophagus and trigger a really strong gag reflex. I had 3 major episodes of vomiting and maybe another 10 close calls in 3 days. It feels like my stomach is producing a huge stomachful of gas practically ever 30 min.

I took some charcoal and low level natural laxatives, which I guess helped very, very slightly for a few hours but thats about it. Me and my father are working on a solution to this, but I just want to know if anyone has experienced anything remotely like this before, because it is driving me absolutely berserk. I figured out that this may be an allergic reaction to the asprin, but I'm not quite sure. I'm not at all used to this kind of thing and I want it to stop. Thanks for your help.

alvarado10 responded:
Go to the ER and get checked out. Those symptoms strongly suggest GERD but if you never had it before, it may be caused by another condition.

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website