Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
15yr old with unexplained wt loss
YELLOWTROLL posted:
Since last summer my 15yr daughter has lost 20lbs. We initially thought she was losing wt because she became much more active(band & daily gym). We also had just started her on growth hormone injections the previous march. With her increased activity and height gain we thought it was a normal progress, but the wt loss has not stopped and the doctors are quite worried. We have stopped the growth hormone shots until we figure out what is going on. She does have freq episodes of bloating/gas after eating, & has had episodes of constipation, but no diarrhea.She also fills up on just a small amount of food. They have checked her for Celiac disease and Crohns, but so far they are negative. Her stool study did show an slight elevation in something that checks inflamation.We did find out she is lactose intolerant, and have started a lactose free diet. She is scheduled for a gastric emptying and endoscopy/colonoscopy. One other issue(that has been totally scary) was her wbc count was down and we were sent to a hematologist/oncologist. He did rule out leukemia(thank god) but did check her for autoimmune disorders. The latest tests have come back negative and her wbc count is now up to almost normal. We are to be retested in 6-8 wks. He believes it could be due to an infection. We are quite concerned about the wt loss, and have started her on boost plus dietary suppliements 3x/day, but it is somewhat difficult for her to get all three in. We were really hoping it was Celiac or even Crohns so we can have an answer. She does great in school and besides the eating difficulties feels good. I know this is alot to figure out but could this be anything else? Could it be a type of cancer that shows these symptoms?

alvarado10 responded:
I'm sure the tests would have shown signs of cancer but didnt. Something like gastritis (causes bloating and gas) can cause weight loss plus her working out and being young with high metalism.

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 60 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website