Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Constant Left Side Pain - Please Help!
brooke4131 posted:
Hi all,

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback on this issue. I'm a 25 year old female who for the past two weeks has had consistent upper left abdominal pain. Sometimes it will move to my right side or into my chest. The pain is usually located under a rib and feels like burning or a sharp stabbing pain. I've thought it was heartburn as I seem to occassionaly have an acidic taste in the back of my throat and the chest tightness.. I've been taking Tums but they don't seem to help. I can't get in to see a doctor for another two weeks. Any idea what this could be? I'm terrified this could be cancer as my mom had cancer of unknown primary...is this possible? What can I do to alleviate the pain until I get to a doctor?

alvarado10 responded:
Chances of cancer at your age is very low. I have the same symptoms except my pain is in the upper middle. Try OTC hearthburn medicine, if that doesnt work your doc will give you an PPI.

Try not to worry so much. If you worry about cancer get screened regularly, the sooner its detected, the higher the chance you can beat it.

brooke4131 replied to alvarado10's response:
Thanks so much for your response alvarado10. I'll give OTC heartburn a try. I know cancer odds are low, I'm just paranoid about that since my mom had it.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website