Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
I'm Desperate for a solution: Constipation, Gas, Swollen Belly, Pain
Resonance19 posted:
Hello
My name is Kaytlin, and I am 14 years old.
I have found very sparse information about what I have/could have, and it seems that others with these symptoms are more or less at a loss.
I am scared to death that this is a lifelong condition, because i've seen some women saying that they've had it for years and years.

This is my Story:

At the end of 2009-early beginning of 2010, I was around 139 lbs, at 5 feet 4 inches. For my frame and body type, this didnt suit me. Following the guidelines of the South Beach Diet, I lost, in a total, counting what i weight today, 32 pounds. Now, i was down to a healthy weight of 115 by the beginning of the school year, but that slowly began to decrease, and now i'm at 107 (Or, rather, 109, because i'm constipated). I began using sparkteens.com to track what i eat, and found that i was eating as little as 700 calories a day at times. On normal days, I get around 1,000-1,400 calories, which is still considerably low for my height/age. I know now that if you dont get enough fat you cant produce hormones and new cells efficiently, which is probably why i have very irregular periods.
About 4-5 months ago, I began to notice increased amount of gas, and then it was almost as if i had gas at any given moment and i was struggling to hide it every second of each day. Soon after, I got constipated, and my stomach swelled to the size of that of a 4 or 5 month pregnant woman's. On some nights, I experienced excruciating pain from the gas pressure that accumulated all over my abdomen and some occasions i literally ran into my parents room in the middle of the night bawling because i thought i was going to die. I started taking ex-lax, which was very strongly effective and caused me to have sudden diarrhea that was uncontrollable, and came with harsh cramps and soreness. My doctor suggested Miralax, however this was very ineffective and didnt produce much bowel movement. I increased my fiber and water intake, which made my stools more regular looking when they came out which was still very rare. I got fed up one day and took the ex lax again, 2 days ago, and it has had little effect. I have been having bowel movements once a day for the last 2 days, but very very very little comes out. The gas i might add smells unusually foul. For me, being a teenage girl who struggles with confidence and body image, the WORST part is the huge belly. Sometimes i cant wear my pants, and i have to wear stretch pants and billowing shirts to cover the embarrassing bulge.

I just want to know- Is there any hope?
Am i going to live with this forever, am i doomed to never have a normal sized belly, and have constipation for the rest of my life?!?

As you might have guessed, this issue has taken a huge toll on my social life too. I have experienced depression and i have been irritable, and stressed out. I'm trying not to annoy my family to their wit's end with my constant lamenting about my issues....working on it at least (hah)

So, if you have any advice/help, anything at all, I would appreciated so much you couldn't even know.

Thanks,

Kaytlin Waggoner.

Take the Poll

Does anyone else experience this/know someone who has
have you found relief?
  • yes, but no relief
  • no
  • yes, i've found relief
  • no, but i know someone who has
vote
View Poll Results

sheba_q responded:
Are you consuming any diet products? Some of them can be really hard on your body. Also plenty of people react badly to diet sugar. That's something to look into.

After that I'd be looking at food intolerances. Fowl smelling gas is a clear sign that your body isn't digesting something properly. A couple of the more common ones are gluten and dairy. Doing an elimination diet and/or keeping a food/symptom diary are pretty good at figuring that out.

Do you have insurance and can go to the doctor to get testing done?

Helpful Tips

kidney n digestive disorder
Dear I want to how to keep well kidney permanently and there is a problem nowadays that is i have to go to toilet with pain in belly after ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website