Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Ongoing tummy issues
Jean1960 posted:
I am typing this as I'm waiting to leave for YET another test. Back in Oct 2010 I had a fundoplicaton redone...first one was in Nov 2005. Since the surgery I have lost 30 lbs to date (which was good, as I was overweight to begin with)...recurring constipation with severe diarrhea...can tell I'm not digesting my food...upper right sided pain. I had an endoscopy a month ago..negative. I had bloodwork for liver..negative. I had bacterial overgrowth breath test this past Tues..negative. And today am scheduled for a colonoscopy. I hate hearing NEGATIVE! I want answers...at this point I don't care what it is, I just want an answer! The bloating, upper right sided abdominal pain, constipation (sometimes it's 5 days in between) and then once the constipation clears the severe diarrhea with the horrible cramping. Getting to the point I'm afraid to eat. Had my gallbladder taken out when first fundo was done in Nov '10.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions other than to quit eating? I'm ready for a second opinion. I remember about 8 or 9 years ago having a scan of some sort and was told I had a fatty liver. Could that be getting worse and these are the symptoms? Doctor says no. I told him I can't take this anymore....

It seems like I've had tummy issues for years and no real answer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Jean1960 responded:
Colonoscopy was negative for any polyps or cancer. GI doc is going to order a CT of the abdomen...he said it would show any changes in my liver and the rest of my abdomen. If my liver bloodwork is normal (and it has been), could it still be my liver not producing the enzymes to aid in digestion? or would the bloodwork ONLY determine that? I am B12 deficient and take monthly shots. Don't know about the vitamin K...keep forgetting to ask for that to be tested. Doc gave me samples of Digestive Advantage for severe diarrhea.

I have to call the office for a 3-4 month appt...am going to ask about the endoscopy capsule that the doc mentioned at my last appt.

It's just so very frustrating not knowing what's wrong. To me if one has a 30 lb unexplained weight loss, something wrong's! Right? If one has severe stomach issues, that's not normal! Right? It almost feels like there's a stricture of some sort...that something is causing the severe constipation and once that painfully passes, I'm hit with the horrible and painful diarrhea. It wipes me out! All I want to do is lie down and let all the spasms pass...

From looking at some of the other posts, it looks like I'm not the only one looking for an answer. Is there any doctor out there that will listen and get to the bottom of this? I live in central NY and am willing to go to Rochester or Albany IF there is that doctor out there!

alvarado10 replied to Jean1960's response:
Maybe your doctor should check for infammatory diease such as crohns. There are special meds for that. Please keep us posted.

Jean1960 replied to alvarado10's response:
I am having a CT scan of my abdomen on Friday...would that show Chrohn's?

Thanks for the response

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to Jean1960's response:
Hi Jean1960

I want to invite you to post your questions on our Crohns and Colitis Community board as community members there may have some insights to share with you about diagnostic testing.

Take care and let us know how your testing went for you.

- Annie

Jean1960 replied to Annie_WebMD_Staff's response:
All of my testing has come back negative. I had a ct scan after my colonoscopy. Showed a problem with my right kidney. Mild to moderate hydronephrosis & stenosis of the ureter. I had a UPJ obstruction corrected 3 years ago. Went to see urologist who ordered an ultrasound and renal nuclear study. He said my kidney is emptying as fast as the left kidney. He said it's not your kidney causing your pain. He suggested I see my surgeon who did my repeat fundoplication this past Oct.

That appt was this past Wed. I am now being scheduled for surgery to remove adhesions. He believes it's adhesions causing a partial bowel obstruction. I'm still having intermittent severe constipation that once it painfully passes, the severe diarrhea follows. Most of the time I have severe gas that makes my stomach distend after I eat. Feels like I'm going to explode!

This surgeon did get a copy of my ct scan and he said it showed a small hernia in my upper abdominal area to the left of my belly button. I "had" a hernia there that was fixed 3 years ago. I have mesh in there, but this hernia sticks out "still" when my stomach is distended from gas after eating. It is so painful, but the surgeon (diff from fundo surgeon) who fixed that said nothing would ever come of it because of the mesh used.

I don't know, but I've been googling adhesions ever since I got home from my Wed appt and I can't understand how adhesions can cause severe diarrhea. Sorry to be so graphic, but the diarrhea is all water and foamy..orange/yellow in color with undigested food and SO foul smelling. It is so distressing.

If this was truly Crohns, wouldn't my ct scan show that?

Annie_WebMD_Staff replied to Jean1960's response:
Hi Jean1960,

I'm sorry but I don't know the answers to your questions. You've got a complicated health history with past surgeries and you have written that you're scheduled for a surgery to remove adhesions. The questions that you have about your CT scan are ones that you need to bring up with your doctors.

At the current time this community board does not have a health professional to answer community members' questions.

Take care and I hope you'll feel better soon.

- Annie

Helpful Tips

GERD Sufferers ~ STOP DRINKING BOTTLED WATER
I suffered with GERD for 2 1/2 years. I tried everything. It was so bad, I can't even tell you. I tried cutting so many things out of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 60 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website