Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Can IBS cause...?
DevN88 posted:
There is a lot more to the story, but I have posted several times already and have not recieved any responses, so I will try to keep this short. For the past 8 months I have been having chronic and progressively deteriorating symptoms. Bloating, nausea/vomiting, cramps, occasional blood clots in stool, thin dark stool, severe constipation, and a chronic sharp pain in my left lower quadrant that is tender to touch. Bowel movement relieves cramping but not the sharp left sided pain. Most of the symptoms go away when I can manage to stay cleaned out which is becoming harder and harder.

A CT scan showed a buldge in the small intestine that may be a partial obstruction or just parastalsis (never followed up with another CT and the colonoscopy couldnt reach it). I also had a colonoscopy which showed inflammation and many small ulcers mostly superficial and some showing colitis.

The doctors gave me a tentative diagnosis of IBS and felt that the buldge from the CT shouldn't be double checked. Also they said that the ulcers/inflammation was probably just coincidence. I personally feel that their reasoning is very questionable. My question here is simple. Should I get a second opinion or am I just over reacting?

sheba_q responded:
You should get a second opinion. Ulcers and inflammation aren't normal - there must be a reason for them, and IBS ain't it. As I'm sure you've read on here by now, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion - when they can't find anything it's IBS.

You've got inflammation and ulcers, as well as a bulge in the small intestine that they haven't had a good look at (admittedly it's not the easiest to look into the small intestine). Also how do they explain the occasional blood clots in your stool.

Have you had any tests other than the CT scan and colonoscopy? There are some blood and stool tests that could be done.

Helpful Tips

Coffee and liver diseaseExpert
Did you know that drinking coffee is healthy for the liver! Studies show that a people who drank a few cups a day were less likely to scar ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website