Skip to content

Announcements

Digestive Disorders Health Center | Heartburn/GERD Health Center | Crohn's Disease Health Center | Celiac Disease Health Center | IBS Health Center | IBD Health Center | Hepatitis Community | The health professionals are not available at the current time to answer community members' questions.
Open for suggestions! PLEASE! IBS?
julez67 posted:
I have been going through SEVERE abdominal, rectal and vaginal pains with chronic constipation. I have had 1 upper and 2 not so good lower gi's done in the past two months NOTHING is working. (5 scopes in 4 years) Dr. put me on a high fiber diet, this makes me even more constipated. She thinks it is IBS. Have not gone to the bathroom in 3 weeks now. I have taken 28 laxatives and drank 3 bottles of magnesium citrate and still have not gone to the restroom. Am now trying the Mirilax AGAIN, it has never helped though. I am at my whits end and do not know what to do. I can not work, sit, sleep, play with my children. The doctor does not understand I am literally being crippled by this. My life has been put on hold for almost 3 three years now. I can not go on like this any longer.
I guess what I believe is that IBS is a name that the doctors give to a digestive order that they have no idea what it is and either don't believe you or really DO NOT care.
I have even now been told to sit on the toilet every morning for 20 minutes. Do not push just sit. This is supposed to help me retrain my bowel movements. I'm following orders, but...........I'm doubtful!
I am 44 and have been a go once a week person since 12. After 6 surgeries (c-sections, hystorectomy(ies) and an accidental cutting open of my bowels, which lead to part of my intestines being removed, I CAN NOT GO! I am supposed to weigh 104, I weigh 154, lost ALL musles and look like I am (literally) 10 months pregnant. I gained all the weight in 2 months. I have lost 20 pounds already, but no more will come off and I am so big that, with the pain, I can not where any clothing hardly.
I am open for any home remedies, suggestions any anything right now! PLEASE HELP!
I have seen numerous doctors. I am scared!

Take the Poll

Can you die from excessive (2 weeks or more) constipation?
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • That is a myth.
  • Uncertain
vote
View Poll Results

CalGal37 responded:
Juliez, have you been tested for any food intolerance issues? Have you had a marker test done to look for movement of fecal material through the GI system?

amberlink09 responded:
Hey Julez,
I'm in the same boat as you (but not as bad right now) and my doctor has diagnosed me with IBS and Celiac. Before you let them diagnose you with IBS though you need to push your doctor to give you more tests (I just did a small bowel x ray). They really only seem to take diarrhea seriously because its a main symptom of Chron's, UC, and Celiac so you just really have to push them to do the tests and get you on the right medications! Did your problems start after part of your intestines were removed? I could see that definitely being a source of the problem. In the meantime when absolutely nothing is working for me I use one of the Fleet extra enemas and usually get relief. If that doesn't work you should go to the ER to make sure that you aren't impacted or anything.

Good luck!
-Amber

Helpful Tips

Need Quick Answers?
We know many of our members come to our communities in pain and looking for quick answers to get them some relief. Because communities are ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the American Gastroenterological Association website